Poland, Zakopane

Zakopane Travel Blog

Zakopane main street

I am currently working my first ski season in Zakopane as a snowboard instructor with a great holiday company Sunshine World.

I arrived in Poland way back on Dec. 13 to find the first snows of the season settling on the ground and temperatures down in the minus teens.  A short transfer from Krakow to Zakopane to the sounds of french hip-hop! gave me my first sighting of the the Wilderness of the white covered Tatra mountains.

On arriving in Zakopane I found at picturesque town filled with traditional wooden built houses a beautiful pedestrianised main street. The mix of old world charm and the conveinience of modern services and English speaking locals made it really easy to settle into my new surroundings.

My first visit to the mountains a few days latter with the Sunshine World Pro-Team and our first guests of the year was amazing, with great snow to let me get back into the swing of things and have a bit of a mess about with my new friends. I got a chance to test out the conditions in a few of the ski areas around the town over the next few days and found some really nice area's to mess about on with surprisingly modern inferstructure and rediculously cheap slopeside resturants, How they can afford to charge £4 for a huge main course????

Anyway i'm getting back into the swing of things and will write again after christmas when im settled in and have expierienced polish christmas/new year.

Dan.