The Flight

Zamboanga City Travel Blog

I was in this part of the country for work and my company sent me on an unplanned side excursion.  The photos from this date were taken from the flight back to Mindanao.  Some general observations: the vistas are absolutely stunning.  I doubt there are any 'sight-seeing' flights in this area but, if you know of one, buy a ticket!  The water is beautiful, so many shades of blue and turquois.  There are small islands scattered as far as the eye can see.  Some are little more than sandbars while others are mountainous, seemingly extinct volcanoes.  There are several which have the classic 'atoll configuration', what appears to be an island dissolving from the inside out (or being constructed from the edges and moving towards the center) - basically a tiny lagoon.  There were numerous fishing boats and small, local freighters plying the waters.  Their lumbering steel mono-hull construction was an odd contrast to the smaller multi-hulled vessels which seemed to race from island to island.

Now a practical point: There is a conflict raging in this part of the Philippines; there is also wanton banditry.  Do NOT consider travelling here lightly.  That includes pleasure boating.  It's a shame, really, because island hopping via sailboat would be my first choice.

I suppose it makes sense to comment on travelling to and from Zamboanga.  There are four or five airlines which fly into Zamboanga.  Philippine Airlines has 3 trips daily from Manila.  To the best of my knowledge, they use Airbus jets.  The flight itself is approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes.