A spur of the moment mini-roadtrip along the Great Ocean Road

Great Ocean Road Travel Blog

This past Tuesday, I decided to go on a mini-roadtrip along the Great Ocean Road, in Victoria, all on the spur of the moment. The Tuesday was spent driving all day from Sydney to Melbourne, where I spent the night at the Urban Central hostel in Southbank. I had the four bedroom dorm all to myself!

On the Wednesday (the 16th), I set out fairly early. The day, unfortunately, started out as being rather cloudy and overcast, and some of the earlier photographs weren't all that great, due to the lousy lighting. However, as the day progressed, the cloud cover began to dissipate for a while. I quickly discovered that the Great Ocean Road is the RV capital of Australia. I've also never seen such a concentration of RVs anywhere in the world, including the USA and Canada.

As this was the first time I'd driven along the Great Ocean Road, for quite some time, some changes were quite noticeable, such as the new visitor's center and parking lot at the Twelve Apostles (of which there are no longer 12 of them!), and the remains of London Bridge.
London Bridge collapsed a number of years ago, leaving a couple of tourists trapped on the other side!

After a day's driving, I finished up at Warrnambool (the city I lived in during my primary school years) for the night. The original plan had been to sightsee around Warrnambool, and continue on to Port Fairy, the next day. However, the weather put an end to those plans. Instead, I decided to make the grueling 1341 km (833 mi) drive back to Sydney, through some of the most featureless landscapes I've ever seen - the 'Hay Plains'.

tacco14 says:
yeah, next time!
callufrax says:
Oh, you should, Takako! It's definitely worth it! You'll just have to do it when you next visit Australia. :)
tacco14 says:
I'd love to be here oneday :) I've been to Australia 3 times but never had chance.