Pie Triumph and the Ferry Ride to Auckland

Auckland Travel Blog

When we woke up the next morning, I was not feeling so stellar.  Turns out that staying up all night for NYE in a bathing suit was a recipe for catching a cold.  My head throbbed and my sinus' were unhappy.  Breakfast was going to be soup, but then we thought, screw that I'm having a pie.

We went back to the nondescript pie shop and found glorious hot pies in the windows.  And just to be clear, I'm not talking about grandma's hot apple pies.  We're talking mince meat pies.  Aussies and Kiwis love their meat pies and I do too.  I don't remember exactly which one I purchased, but it had bacon in it and it tasted like glory.  It was like the ideal pie.  Juicy, hot, fresh, bacony pie glory.  We chatted up the cashier and discovered that the pie shop catered to all the bakeries on the Coromandel peninsula.  They wake up super early in the mornings to bake heaps of pies and have them delivered all across the Coromandel.  Impressive.  Our pie radar was spot on.  We knew from first sight that this pie shop was amazing.  Drool.

After the pie-gasm we headed back to our backpacker to have a healthy, germ-destroying bowl of soup.  We had a can of soup kicking around and we just didn't want to carry it anymore, but it was good for my throat.  We spent the rest of the day just relaxing at a coffee shop in town waiting for our ferry ride to Auckland.  The ferry service had just opened up recently so it was a first time experience for both of us.  The port wasn't in town though.  A bus (included in the ferry ticket price) picked us up at the parking lot in the middle of town and took us south for about 20 minutes until we got to the port.  The reason for this was there was no parking at the port.  It was just a narrow road that ended in a dead-end.  There were quite a few cars trying to maneuver kabillion-point turns and then our bus showed up and parked in the middle of the chaos.  Ha ha suckers!  Should have taken the bus!

The ferry ride was quite pleasant.  The boat was smaller than I expected, but I suppose only so many people could be travelling between Auckland and Coromandel Town that it was plenty big for the need.  The ride lasted two hours and dropped us smack in the heart of town.  Easy as.
Connie says:
oh no. All this talk about pies is making me hungry.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2010
sylviandavid says:
Oh....The pie sounds wonderful!
Posted on: Jan 29, 2010
Auckland Hostels review
Fat Camel Sucks
This placed was the worst backpacker I've stayed at in a western country. First, it was more expensive than ACB (Auckland Central Backpackers) ev… read entire review
Auckland