Do all good things have to come to an end?

Castiglion Fiorentino Travel Blog

Louvre confusion

Ahh, an interesting question I´ve put to myself...Do all good things really have to end?  We have less days here than I can count on one hand and yet I feel prepared for going home.  I started getting ready about two weeks ago when going home seemed unavoidable though I would try and convince myself that we had a lot of time left.  It was ¨therapeutic¨in a way to do a recap of my trip and kind of summarize exactly what these three months contained.  Please read and enjoy!

Countries I've travelled to: Egypt, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy

Cities I've been to: Alexandria, Arezzo, Assisi, Athens, Burano, Cairo, Castiglion Fiorentino, Cortona, Florence, Giza, London, Memphis (not Tennessee...Egypt!), Montepulciano, Munich, Murano, New York, Paris, Pienza, Pisa, Perugia, Rome, San Gigminano, Santorini, Siena, Tivoli, Venice, Viterbo

What I've seen: (warning, this is really long!!) The Birth of Venus, Hyde Park, The Rosetta Stone, Torre del Mangia, Obelisk of Luxor, Eiffel Tower, The Statue of Liberty, Library of Alexandria, The British Museum, The Duomo, The Sphinx, Venus de Milo, The Uffizi Museum, Trajan's Column, Boboli Gardens, Trevi Fountain, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, The Colosseum, Ponte Vecchio, Villa D'Este, St.

Times Square
Mark's Square, The Pieta, Harrod's, The Acropolis, St. Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben, The Mona Lisa, Villa Lante, London Eye, Winged Victory, Trafalgar Square, Arc de Triomphe, The Pyramids at Giza, Time Square, The Tower of London, Hadrian's Villa, Tower Bridge, The Forum, The Gates of Paradise, The Egyptian Museum, The Sistine Chapel, Westminster Abbey, Versailles, The Thames, Sante Croce, The Last Judgement, The Parthenon, The Grand Canal, The Agora, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, The Temple of Zeus, St. Peter's, Rockefeller Center, The Spanish Steps, Buckingham Palace, Marienplatz, Houses of Parliament, Piazza Navona, Columbus Circle, Empire State Building, The Louvre, Oktoberfest, Rialto Bridge, The Nile River, Champs Elysees, Vatican Museum, The Seine, Tate Modern, Notre Dame, King Tut's Death Mask, Picadilly Circus, The Pantheon

What I would like to see more of: The Louvre (you could spend days here); The interiors of the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, St.

Oh yeah...
Paul's Cathedral and the Colosseum; The Palace of Versailles (we only saw the gardens)

What I missed seeing (out of the places I went to) : The Acropolis Museum (it was closed), The National Archaelogical Museum in Athens; Amalfi Coast, Milan, Ravenna in Italy; Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte in Paris; National Gallery in London; Stonehenge

Places I would like to visit on my next trip to Europe: Salzburg/Vienna, Austria; Berlin, Germany; Barcelona/Madrid, Spain; Prague, Czech Republic; Copenhagen, Denmark

Things I'll miss about my trip (besides travelling and being with friends, of course): Not having to pay sales tax (its already included, so you know what the final amount will be), good public transportation (as in plentiful, not always good quality), not having any responsibilities (it's really been a vacation from life!) authentic food, not having to drive everywhere, no commercials (no tv=no commercials), the handiness of the 1 and 2 euro coins, being able to talk about people because they don't understand english, the pizza, pasta and gelato!, being able to walk everywhere, seeing the same people working at the stores and restaurants around school

Things I won't miss about my trip: People smoking everywhere and anywhere!, hardly ever hearing a word you understand, the lack of Mexican food, having to mentally convert to US dollars, European drivers and streets, "uncut" pizza (do they not have pizza cutters!?), having to walk everywhere! (it's a love/hate relationship with the walking bit), the lack of public restrooms/having to pay for public restrooms, the inability to do anything between the hours of 1 and 4 pm (they take the siesta really seriously here)

Things I'm looking forward to: Being with my family, listening to music in the car or my room, being able to find anything I need almost anywhere (ie Target), eating every good food that I missed, Christmas, not having to use plug adaptors

Favorite sites: The Eiffel Tower, The Pyramids at Giza, St.

Peter's/The Sistine Chapel, everything along the Thames River in London,

Best meals (I can't limit myself to one): Sushi in New York, cheesy pasta at school, ramen at Wagamama in London, pizza or spaghetti at Hermes Restaurant by school

Worst meals: Pasta carbonara in Rome, pea soup at school, raw meat for dinner at school (literally, barely dead),

Biggest rip-off: Paying €8 for a hot dog and soda at the Eiffel Tower.  There were three "hot dogs" inside the chewiest, toughest baguette I've ever had.  The taste was actually ok, but the whole time I was thinking, "Couldin't I get a really delicious version of this combination at Costco for $1.

50?!?"

Funnest experiences (this is really hard to narrow down): Riding camels at the Pyramids, eating a really good McDonald's at the Athen's airport, laughing with friends at meals, running down from the second floor of the Eiffel Tower to catch it all lit up, the rides at Oktoberfest, just hanging out in people's rooms, playing crazy games of Cranium, playing ping pong doubles with Shaun, Adam and Lance, seeing the view out of my room for the first time (first impressions are everything), eating gelato, riding a golf cart around Versailles, walking around the streets of Santorini, doing "jumping" pictures in front of famous monuments

One more blog after this and I´ll see YOU at home!

krystieo says:
i like how you posted lots of group photos! thanks for that! great job on this blog, so hard to compile everything, i don't know if i can do it! i'm very happy you did though! :)
Posted on: Nov 20, 2007