Rick Steves Says You Can't Get Lost.

Venice Travel Blog

The Best Pizza in the World!!!!
So it's true Venice is an island, but getting lost is always possible and part of the excitement. Rick Steves (he's great) travel book said to wander around Venice because you can't get lost, he never said it may take a few hours to find your way back to where you need to go. When my friends and I arrived in Venice at 11:00 at night or maybe even later, we tried to find our hostel which was hidden behind a large door in a large piazza with a small, maybe even tiny lit sign saying it was so. The Bax Pax Hostel in Campo Santa Margherita ended up being a beautiful old home and it was the first time in my life I slept on silk sheets. We stepped outside of our hostel and right next door was Pizza Al Volo, the best pizza I have ever had in my life, Formaggio Familiari (sorry if its spelled wrong).
The generic Venice pic
All that means is large cheese, but the mere mention of it brings back memories of a perfectly constructed masterpiece of a pizza that is cooked within two minutes, less than 10 euro, and delicious. I would go back to Venice right now if nothing more than to order a pizza from Pizza Al Volo. Venice is a magical city and the best way to see it is to get lost. Leave the main tourist areas and start walking. Challenge yourself to get lost and find the quiet areas where the people of Venice live. San Marco Square is exciting and a must see, but I found the best experiences were when my friends and I find a back alley with kids playing soccer and clothes drying above. It gives you a feeling of reality and a sense of real life. Venice is a must see for anyone wishing to go to Italy.
ms_travelr says:
I was there a few years ago and absolutely fell in love with the city. One of my all-time favorite painter (Paolo Veronese) is buried in the San Sebastiano church.
Posted on: May 01, 2008
Shelissa says:
Finally, I have found someone on here that knows about Rick Steves! I was a little surprised. Great blog! Makes me want to visit Venice that much more.
Posted on: Jul 15, 2007
CrazyLisa says:
It is so easy to get lost there while looking for your hotel or hostel. We got lost a long time doing that.
Posted on: Jun 22, 2007
Drying clothes
Drying clothes
Gelato!
Gelato!
Sorta artistic, like Waking Ned Da…
Sorta artistic, like Waking Ned D…
Venice Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Pizza al Volo
The best pizza I have ever had in my life. For a formaggio familiare (sorry for the spelling), it was 10 euro. It was the biggest pizza and best I hav… read entire review