Back in KL

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Buying paintings

The return, after a total of a year away I was once again in KL. I returned to Grocers Inn to find no bed bugs this time so I stayed. The hostel was not as crowded even though same time of year. Upon entering my room there was an American girl, she immediately warned me of two prostitutes staying in the room as she felt uncomfortable. My face might of lit up being a man but I would never judge a person until I meet them.

Later meeting the two girls I saw they were from the Philippines. They were just talking to me friendly and asking where I have travelled. They were really polite and started singing a lot, I never knew Philippine girls can sing so well, they said all girls from there can.

Buying necklaces
A guy then came out with a guitar and it was like a band almost. Later they did tell me of their profession and how they have a hard time, they have children to support back in their country and the fathers are no longer there. They explain they find it hard just to make money for the week. So I thought why not grab some cheap Vodka from across the road so not to worry of troubles. Soon a couple more guests came out and we all had a few drinks but I ended up drinking 3/4 the bottle but not problem this time :D

Next day I went exploring the market again to buy some paintings for presents and some bands and necklaces for myself. I found a tattoo shop on the way, I went in and the man allowed me to browse the pictures of his artwork on the wall and on his computer. I saw his apprentice drawing up some tattoos for a client and they looked really good too.

Buying food
The man was pretty old and kind and I could see he was an amazing artist, I asked how much a tattoo costs and how long it takes, I wish I found this place the first time I came to KL as I had no time to get a tattoo. The man told me a lot about tattoos and explained if I came back just send an email of what I want and he can complete it while I am here next time. I look forward to getting something done maybe a coy fish, dragon, tiger overhead in water with Japanese style flowers, an eye of Horus or a world or treasure map. I have lots of ideas always coming to me but remain tattoo less hopefully not for long.

Before leaving the girls said they would miss me and they considered me to be their little brother. I gave them some shirts i didn't need and they gave me some photos and gifts too. It was really interesting talking to these girls and about their problems and I never talked to anyone with their experiences before so I am glad I took the time, and I didn't tell them what the American girl said :)

SatinandLace says:
Hi there,

I really enjoyed going through your KL entries. KL was also my first big trip myself and I truly loved it. Reading this a lot of memories come back particularly the food and meeting people.

great reviews!