Orientation and Wanderings

Sevilla Travel Blog

Street Hotel Was On

Woke up before my alarm went off and as hoped felt remarkably fresh and ready for the day. Was ready to go out at 10am, and passed on the offer of breakfast when i handed in my room key, though there were still plenty of people having theirs as I went out. I did however get a decent map from the girl at the reception desk and headed out into the lane and headed down to the cathedral.

Walked past the Real Alcazar,but it looked quite busy with a queue outside it so carried on to the Puerta Jerez and decided to head down to the river. My main intention this morning was to head along the main road at the river and along to the Hotel Tryp Macarena, as because of increased security measures, this was the place I had to go on the day of the game to pick up my ticket for the match.

Down the side wall of the Real Alcazar

I went past the Palacio De San Telmo, which looked nice but was having a face lift, and got down to the river beside the Torre Del Oro ( Golden Tower) and walked out onto the bridge to take in the view along the river. Went down to the tower and beside it there was a band gathering  , and on the promenade above it seats had been laid out,so there wa going to be a concert beside it but I didn't want to hang about. Carried on along the road and came to the bullring,which was closed as part of the two day holiday I had arrived in. Still it was nice to look at .

Kept on going along the walkway beside the river and came to the bridge that takes you over into Triana, and decided to head over to have a look about. Some nice buildings and looked a good area  for local shops and restaurants and the street was lined with what looked like dead trees.

Giralda (Tower)
Headed back across the river and noticed on the railings of the bride that there were loads of padlocks attached to the railings, with what looked like couples initials on them, and took it to be some local symbol of love. Back across the street was a glass framed shopping centre at the Plaza De Armas.

Back to my aim of finding the hotel, but I was quickly distracted (it's too easy :-D ) by a couple newer looking of buildings back across the river, so off I went again. First came to one with chimneys that looked like a ceramics factory/workshop an then a couple of office blocks that were strangely interesting, beofre finding the big round building that turned out to be a goverment building, though not sure of its purpose though looked big enough to some sort of council of parliament type of thing.

Exit of the Real Alcazar
Walked around it and back past the ceramic place and over the bridge and headed further along. I knew it was going to be a long walk, as the place I was going was off the city centre map :-O

Back across and some graffitti down by the river caught my eye as being quite artisic and amusing and went right down to the riverside and took a few pictures and then got on my way again. Not very much further though, only as far as the next bridge, and the Isla Magica and what i assume was the site of the Expo '92 event , as there was a lot of interesting looking stuff. After walking by the amusement park, and past a large model space rocket, I came to a giant glass ball set in it's own little plaza. Headed further out but it seemed to come to an end, but found a railway station that was canvas covered, though it looked like it had seen better days.

Statue of Mary

Next thing to grab my attention was some strange looking chimneys with the central on covered in flags, though when I got to them they were.... well I'm still not sure what they were ever meant to be but they looked quite cool. Walk back to the river and over the arc bridge and found the street the Hotel Macarena was on, and just at the start of it was a small park with a tower in it,Torre De Los Perdigones, though while it looked like you could get up it because of the local holiday it was closed. Walked up to the hotel and happy that I knew where I was going carried on up along side the area that has the wall running round it.

Looking at the buses passing and they were heading for the train station and I didn't want to be going that far out again so picked a random street and headed down in a zig zag pattern in the direction I reckoned I should be going.

Queues outside the Real Alcazar
Wasn't anything like as bad as the night before as a) it was daylight and b) I wasn't tired, so I was quite happy to stroll about lost for a while, plus I was fairly confident that at worst I would come out eventually back down by the river.

Down some lovely wee streets I strolled and eventually found myself back on the map at the Plaza De La Encarnacion, with the strange concrete ''mushrooms'' they are building there. Being able to work out a route headed into the main shopping area and cut through to the Plaza Nueva where there are some artwork metal men sitting cross legged and a model of a rowing boat. Had a look around the streets and places nearby and decided I would go to the Plaza Espana, which was practically off the map on the other side from where I had gone looking for the Hotel Macarena, but I was half way there now.

Horses and carts

Got to it and it is quite some building, with a north and a south tower, a fountain in the middle and you can get up on the balcony. The contrast between the brickwork and the blue ceramic makes it look really nice. It has representations of a lot of different areas of Spain around the base, but unfortunately one side of it was all boarded up being renovated. The walkway round it was used as a setting in one of the newer Star Wars film, but don't ask me which :-D.  It was getting dark now so I decided to head back up into the city centre and as I was going along the main street, Avenida De La Constitucion, a brass band came marching along , with some religious banners being paraded at the front.

Beside the cathedral were some portakabin type stalls which were open now and selling all sorts of religious christmas icons, though looking at them some of the sets were priced up to €250.

Tram going past front of cathedral
No chance of me buying any to take home then :-D, though I still don't think anything will top the olive wood manger scene I bought in Bethlehem, so there wasn't much point. Decided it was time for a beer and went into the Bar Gonzalo beside the cathedral. Big mistake, it was really pricey, but I was still in there when at 7pm the bells of the cathedral started peeling, and it was obviously enough of an event as a lot of the locals took their drinks to the door to watch and listen and I joined them.

I checked out my map and found the Plaza Cristo De Burgos, as there was a restaurant/bar that local TB Lokababy had recommended as being good and cheap. Strret outside the bar more or less ran straight up to it, and so long as you have the courage of your convictions and are prepared to head off up some dimly lit narrow lanes, then it is quite easy to get to.

Fountain in the Puerta Jerez
As you become used to the city you get used to the small lanes as there are loads of them and I found them all perfectly safe.

I arrived at the Taberna Coloniales and wasn't sure if it was closing as there was just one person in it, and the girl behind the bar was coming out to sweep up. As I debated it in my mind a couple arrived and went in so I did as well. Had a beer and as more people arrived it quickly filled up. I got the tapas menu and the guy behing the bar said something which I took to be that you only had until half past eight and had to order from just the second page of the menu so I ordered quickly and got some sort of toast thing with ham and a weird sauce ( I had thought it was going to be a kind of cheese :-D ).  It was edible, but I wouldn't rush to try it again, as what the guy had meant was that the kitchens didn't OPEN fully until 8-30pm and soon everyone was gettting a lot better stuff than I had :-( .

Palacio De San Telmo
Had another beer or five before deciding to head back into town and nearer the hotel. Was really pleasantly surprised whan the total bill came to just over €15, a real result.

Kind of went off course a bit as I headed down the lanes and came out at a bit I didn't expect, and then recognised it and was actually prctically at my hotel :-). Went up the lane and past the hotel and decided to have a nightcap on Las Teresas. It was quite a lot busier tonight and the guy behind the bar was pretty surly and I'm sure spent as long as he could ignoring me which was enough to put me off going back again. Headed into the hotel  and picked up my room key and was out like a light soon after.

Inquisitive says:
Thanks for a wonderful blog! It adds to my desire to go to Spain - pretty sure I'll make it my next European destination :) Sevilla looks beautiful!!
Posted on: Mar 08, 2010
gejah says:
i really liked sevilla! A very beautiful town!
Posted on: Dec 17, 2009
vances says:
Having a drink while watching chimes peel...that rings a bell!
Posted on: Dec 15, 2009
Street Hotel Was On
Down the side wall of the Real Alc…
Down the side wall of the Real Al…
View Across The River
Puente De Triana
Puente De Triana
Laughing bust
Laughing bust
View back along the river to the G…
View back along the river to the …
Statue of Juan Belmonte
Hercules (?)
Hercules (?)
Red Cross
Red Cross
Mushrooms being built at the P…
''Mushrooms'' being built at the …
Plaza Del Duque De La Victoria
Taberna Coloniales
Taberna Coloniales
Sevilla Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Taberna Coloniales - A Great Recomendation
Had looked into this place, following reading local TB Lokababy's review. Paloma was 100% spot on 8). I was staying close to the cathedral and had … read entire review
Sevilla