And It's Off To The Match We Go

Sevilla Travel Blog

Alameda De Hercules

After last night's over indulgence, no surprise I slept in. Was meant ot be at the Hotel Macarena between 10 and 12, and never woke up until 11-30, and it would be a good 30-40 minute walk across town. Having done a recce on Monday I knew I could cut through the town and headed for  the Alameda De Hercules.

Despite being late had no problem in picking up my ticket, and met a few guys I knew that were there at the same time. Sent my mate a text, but was still feeling a bit rough and decided to go for a wander about, rather than hit the pub again so early. Wanted to go back to the Plaza De San Fransisco, as the church there was just closing when I had been up before.

Headed down through the streets, now quite confident about navigating them, and  cut through to La Campana and up to the square, only to find the church completely closed because of the Festival.

La Campana
Walked back down through the main shopping area back to the Plaza Nueva and this time noticed the nativity scene at the end of the building. Decided I would feel better if I had something to eat and found a sandwich bar opposite the cathedral,the Cafe Avenida Correos. Checked out the menu on one of the outside tables before going though, and it seemed quite reanably priced given it's location. Had a large ham and cheese bagette and a beer and it came to €7-20.

Had a specific bar I wanted to check out and went to look for it, but it was closed when I got there, so I headed back up and met a couple of boys I knew. Was very busy round the cathedral so headed to one of the little squares between the Real Alcazar and my hotel and went to a bar called the Cafe Alianza.

Day time in Plaza Del Salvador

Soon time to head up to the ground as Wanted to be there relatively early and went to get the metro up from Puerta Jerez to Nervion, and having gone smoothly had time to pop into another bar just outside the station there. Was on my way up to the ground and about to cross over the main road when a few fellow Bears crosssing back the way warned not to go up that way as the police had gone into a couple of bars in full riot gear and were indiscriminately setting about folk with their batons. Despite the warning , continued up anyway taking as wide a route round about it, and the bars had been locked down and folk were getting let out one at a time and having to put their hands in the air. Unfortunately this is an all to common occurence when coming across the Spanish police :-(

Got up to the ground and in no problem.

Nativity Scene
Game wasn't a sell out and there was plenty of room to move about. Sevilla scored a rather soft penalty after just 8 minutes, and were by far the better team in the first half. Second half was a bit better, but a lot of us were left quite disappointed that we didn't really have a go at them, as we had nothing to lose.

Kept in 20 minutes after the game, and found the metro closed when I got back to it, so had to walk back into town. This was the route I had planned to use when I had first arrived in Sevilla, and I noticed a couple of things as I went along and decided to come back up this way the following day.

Entered the Barrio Santa Cruz at the top end and it was after midnight. Stopped at a cafe there and had a couple of beers and then just headed for hotel.

lokababy says:
Do you like the nativity?? :D There are a lot in different places from Seville ^^
Posted on: Dec 17, 2009
Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán
Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán
Watering The Pitch
Watering The Pitch
Teams Line Up for Champions League…
Teams Line Up for Champions Leagu…
Sevilla Fans Flags