Japanese Garden & Pittock Mansion

Portland Travel Blog

One of the Stations of the Cross (The Grotto)

I got up around 8:30 and realized that the hotel stopped the free breakfast service at 9am!!  Ant and I hauled butt, dressed up and  went downstairs to get scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes and OJ.  We brought it back to our room and ate there.  The breakfast was ok, at least it was free.

After we ate, we went to McDonalds in front of the hotel to get some Iced Coffee.  We saw that advertised at every McD's we passed so we figured we get some.  I haven't seen that ad yet here.  But anyway, brought that back to the hotel and drank that while we started packing our stuff up.  We checked out around 10:30.  We planned on going to The Grotto mass, but that started at 10am!

So we got to the Grotto around 10:45.

St. Philip of Benizi (The Grotto)
  The grotto is a catholic sanctuary with a church, gardens, forest, monastery and chapel.  It's a beautiful place for prayer and reflection!!!  A path through the "forest" leads you to each Stations of the Cross.  There's several statues of Saints, Mary, and Jesus.  Inside the Grotto is a replica of the Pieta in Italy.  On each side of the Grotto, people can buy a tall glass votive candle for $6 and place it there in memory or honor of someone.  In the visitor/giftshop center, you can buy a ticket to go to the upper level gardens.  It's $3/person.  The meditation chapel overlooks the city.  There's a figure of Mary holding baby Jesus.  The statue looks life-like.  Outside, if you continue along the path in the gardens, you'll walk through "Joseph's Grove," Mary's Sorrowful Mystery, you'll pass by the monastery, pond, and other stuff.
Zen Garden
  Man, we walked through so FAST because we were pressed for time, but it would've been nice to spend the entire day there.  At the giftshop, I was able to buy a Sunday missal which I've been looking for quite awhile now!

After the Grotto, we picked up Thomas and went back to Park Lane Suites hotel to pick up Anthony's shirt and khakis that he accidently left in the closet.  Ok, that's a friggin' story in itself.  I called Sat night asking for the clothes and the guy said only the slacks were in the Lost and Found and he said he'll check the house manager in the morning and for me to call back.  I called back Sunday morning and the guy at the desk said the khakis AND shirt were both at the desk.  So when we got there to pick it up, the shirt was MISSING.  I was like wth!  He called someone and said, Uh yeah, the lady is here to pick up the shirt and slacks!!!  Well anyway, to make a long story short, we got the shirt and pants back!  Thank God!

After that episode, we drove back to Washington park to get to the Japanese Garden.

At Japanese Garden
  It was $8/pp.  The garden was a nice.  I was hoping to see more cherry blossoms but there were only 2 trees that were blooming!  So there wasn't much "color" in the garden that I was hoping for.  We were still able to take some good pics frm a bridge and zen rock gardens.

Then, we drove to Pittock Mansionhttp://www.pittockmansion.com    I was expecting an entire day there, but it was not as big and grand as Biltmore!  It was still nice to see the house and the old furnishings and antiques and from the "backyard", you can see a good view of the city and Mt. Hood.

Pittock Mansion
  The Pittocks did have a garage for their cars and their own "gas station" but that has been turned into mansions gift shop.

After Pittock, we had lunch at Nob Hill at Yuki Jap. Restaurant.  Ok, knowing me, I have no idea how to use chopsticks and I asked for a fork.  The waitress came back and gave me a DIRTY fork.  I said, UH, this fork is kinda dirty!  And she said, Oh it is?!  We don't really have a silverware here! I was like OMG well can you clean this?! LOL  She came back with a different fork and I HOPE it was cleaned!  It looked like it, but still! augh!  anyway, I ordered chicken katsu and it was pretty good.

After that, we dropped off T at his hotel and went to church in the Nob Hill area called St.

Mary's Cathedral .  It was a very beautiful church that had painted scenes in the wall, ceiling and apse.   The priest was so funny.  The announced that he had a prop for us. LOL  It was a red heart box with a bag of candy in it.  He said everyone has hope, faith, etc. in your hearts, but take all that out and put your love for God in it.   I thought it was a nice homily, esp. since he had a prop to help demo!

One of the Stations of the Cross (…
One of the Stations of the Cross …
Pantry