Chinatown and Pioneer Square

Portland Travel Blog

Anthony had a killer headache so first thing we did was walk to the Walgreens on Burnside.  Not a far walk.  After that, I got to my bus stop 5 min. before the bus came and not 20 min. early like I did the day before. hahaha

Went to class blah blah blah.

For lunch, Anthony met up with us.  We ate at the Pioneer Place mall that was two blocks away.  It was Friday so Ant and I settled for salmon and rice from some Japanese place.  It was "ok".  Didn't even come with veggies. :/

After lunch, T and I went back to class and Anthony went to Powells and the mall while he waited for me.  Class ended early around 3pm so Ant and I took the RAIL to Chinatown.  We went to the Chinese Garden and hung around there for a bit taking pictures.

It was nice, not as nice as the Summer Palace in Beijing of course, but it was ok.  This chinese guy started talking to us about cameras coz he noticed me taking all these pics as if I knew what I was doing! haha  But he was nice coz he was giving me some tips and stuff.  Afterwards, we walked around checking out those lil junk souvenir shops.  For the life of me, I cannot find mahjong racks anywhere!  Not even in Bejing!  I chked in SF chinatown and not there either.  I guess I'll just have to look online!  Anyway, we ate dinner around 5pm, at Fong Chong's chinese restaurant recommended by the Hidden Oregon and Frommer's Portland guide books.  Since it was Friday, we had to go w/ mixed kung pao flavor veggies and veggie lo mein.  It was ok.  Nothing great that would make the restaurant stand out!!

After Chinatown, we took the RAIL back to Pioneer Square and just walk around the shopping area.  We went to the mall and found some cheap jeans on sale for Ant and Toto.  We got some iced coffee drinks from Moonstruck chocolate stall.  It was pretty good.  I was so HOT after walking around!  Then we left and went to Niketown, Columbia store, and just continued to walk around and take pics around the Square and the courthouse.  By 8pm, we took the Rail to the airport to pick up our car rental.  Got back to the by 10 or so!

binky says:
Great pics! I know Portland well, so I am surprised you got a pic of Pioneer Square without 2000 people in it. Good job!
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007