Arrival Day, Downtown, and Powell

Portland Travel Blog

I had a great time!  I arrived around Wed nite 9:30pm and was scared to death to take a taxi.  I got my luggage and followed the sign to "Ground Transportation."  I looked around and I'm like Ok, where are the taxis?   I walked further along the driveway walkway and found only 3! haha I guess, 9:30 isn't busy for them.  I ended up with a really nice taxi driver.  he had to call his ppl to find my hotel, but I got to the hotel ok.  Oh, was I suppose to tip the driver?  I have no idea what taxi etiquette is!!!  He probably thought I was a cheap ass!  Ok, that really goes to show how much Houstonians rely on their own cars!!!  I felt bad not giving him a tip!!! lol  Anyways, that was one scary event that turned out ok, next one is to take the bus the next morning!

Ok, I haven't taken the bus since I was kid going to Dr. Jones dentist office.  And that wasn't scary coz I was w/ nanay, den and toto!  Now, I'm taking the bus like 20 yrs later in a city I don't even know!  Before I left, I printed out a trip planner from for bus times and bus stops located by my hotel and training center.  Even though I was prepared, I was still a nervous wreck at the bus stop!  It was only a block away from the hotel.  When I got there, I'm like OMG, i hope it comes on time, or I hope I'm standing on the right side of the street, or I hope I have enough quarters. OMG, I was so nervous.  I know, I am pathetic!!!  I had a cup of coffee from the hotel, I was so nervous that I drank the whole darn thing in like 1 min.!  So anyway, I got on the bus ok and got to class ok!  I was able to find the training center which was only a block away from the bus stop. :)

I realized that the training center was also a block away from Pioneer Square so that was cool.  Easily accessible to the Light Rail for when I would have to meet Anthony at the airport! It's pretty cool how their downtown has lots of shopping activities and parks.  So much different from Houston's downtown!

So anyway, we got out of class around 3 and Thomas and I walked around downtown.  We walked to the South Park blocks which was kinda not very exciting.  Along they way we passed by the museums and it headed into Portland State U.   Anyway, nothing else to do at the parks, so we walked back up to Powells bookstore.  Oh man, talk about book heaven!  The sell new, old, and rare books.  The book store took up the entire block and had maybe like two floors containing several rooms divided up by type of books.  Man, if i get stuck at the Borders or any library for 2 hours, I could take an entire day at Powells!   However, I wasn't able to find the books I was looking for. :(

I have to mention, the people in Portland are SO NICE.  Way different from Houstonians.  There's probably only a handful of nice people in Houston, everyone else has an attitude if you accidently run into them. :/  Well, that's another story.  Anyway, Portlanders are even FRIENDLY drivers.  Thomas and I were waiting to cross the street at the crosswalk.. Mind you, the cross walk was no where NEAR the stoplight.  Drivers STILL STOPPED and LET us cross, EVEN WHEN THE LIGHT WAS GREEN. OMG, you won't EVER see that happen in Houston.  Once you step off the curb, your *ss is grass! lol

Around 6, Thomas walked me back to Pioneer Square so I can take the rail to the airport.  I had to buy an All Zones pass to get on the rail so you have to buy it through this machine that's similar to the MetroRail one in Houston.  At first, I tried to use the machine that accepted credit cards, but it wouldn't take!  I was like GREAT, now I have to dig out money and crazy weirdos might see me counting all my money!  LOL Anyways, cheap fare to get frm downtown to the airport!!!  It cost only $2 good for 2hrs all zones, bus or rail!!

So I got to the airport at 6:30!!  I hung around the baggage claim area talking to Den on the phone or reading my travel guides and Japanese book that I bought from Powells.  Then I realized I was hungry so I hoped that I was able to find a food court without having to enter security.  I was in luck!!  I ate at the airport Panda Express for dinner while waiting for Anthony.  Den thought I was pathetic. LOL

That ended my constant worry after Anthony arrived. :)

Portland Hotels & Accommodations review
Hotel was a great location. Very close to downtown, Nob Hill, and Washington park. Bus stop close by. Free breakfast in the lobby. Our room was li… read entire review
photo by: alooides