AsiaJapanKyoto

Day 6 - Kyoto

Kyoto Travel Blog

Japanese breakfast - miso soup, rice, ham, sausage, pickled veggies

We ate breakfast at Kotobuki Cafe, a block away from Tour Club.  The cafe offers a discount for those who stay at the hostel!  It's a small restaurant and it offers Japanese or Western breakfast.  This time, I opted for the Japanese breakfast!  The description on the menu didn't sound as "authentic" as Anthony's breakfast at Inn Fujitomita, so I decided I'd give it try now! lol  The Japanese breakfast at the cafe consisted of miso soup, ham, sausage, rice, and pickled vegetables.  It was so good!!!

We took the bus to Nijo Castle.  The main building Ninomaru Palace has 33 rooms and 800 tatami mats.

A cool thing about the castle is the nightingale floors.  The floor squeaks when stepped on letting the shogun know of intruders.

We continued on to Nanzenji Temple.  The famous feature here is a Zen rock garden sometimes called "Young Tigers Crossing the Water" because of the of one of the rocks.  I couldn't picture tigers crossing the water though!  Here, we rested a bit looking at the rock gardens.

After Nanzenji, we walked to Eikando Zen Temple.  Eikando has beautiful gardens and ponds.  It is known for a famous Buddha statue looking over his shoulder.  Again, we didn't walk further into the complex.

Before leaving for Tokyo, we took a bus to McDonalds for lunch.  I was a little confused where to put my day pass!  There was a slot for day pass ticket, slot for paying, slot for making change.  I needed to get my day pass validated AND get change and with the confusion, I ended up dropping my change!  How embarrassing.  Anyway, I ordered a teriyaki burger for lunch.  It was delicious!

Hikari from Kyoto Station to Tokyo Station

Japanese breakfast - miso soup, ri…
Japanese breakfast - miso soup, r…
Outer Moat