Day 3 - Yamanashi Village and Oshino Hokkai Village

Yamanashi Travel Blog

View of Mt. Fuji from the small town of Fujiyoshida

We were able to reserve a train early at 9:30 to get to the Fuji Five Lakes - Yamanashi Village.  Our intentions in coming here was to get a clear view of Mt. Fuji, not actually climb it!!  It's snowing up there right now!!  The best time to hike it is in July and August.

We took the JR Chuo Line from Shinjuku to Otsuki.  From there, we transferred to a Fujikyu line train to get to Fujiyoshida (~$10).  The hotel offered free rides from the Fujiyoshida station to Inn Fujitomita  between 2-5, so we hungout in Fujiyoshida for about 2 hrs.

Heated table in our room
  There's a mall at the station (no surprise there!) so we hung out there for awhile.  Their clothes are a bit pricey, but I saw some stuff on sale (season clearance) for less than $10.  We also walked around the small town and got nice views of Mt. Fuji.  The town reminded me of a cleaner, less congested Kalibo.

So, David, the owner of Inn Fujitomita picked us up in the van at 2pm.  VERY friendly guy!  He was raised in Hiroshima, went to school in Cali, then moved to Tokyo.  But then he moved to Yamanashi to start the Inn.  He built the onsen, the pool, tennis courts, etc himself!!  Anyway, driving from Fujiyoshida to Yamanashi, we had an great view of Mt.

Oshino Hokkai
Fuji!  it was a clear sunny day and we could see the snow-white capped mountain against the blue sky!

We arrived at the hotel and the rest of the family greeted us at the door.  We had to take off our shoes before stepping onto the wooden floor in the lobby and change into house slippers!  We left our shoes in the lobby by the front door.  It's like how filipinos do it, but the Japanese make it formal which makes the custom a unique experience to foreigners.  At check-in, Sayori, the daughter of the Inn Fujitomita owner, gave us tips of where and what to do in the small village.  She even gave us info and how to get to Kyoto from there.  She was really helpful - service you never really expect at any hotel and that's just during check-in!

She then led us to our room,showing us the 2 onsen baths and the dining room.

drinking fountain
  When we got to our room, we take off our house slippers at the main bedroom door (that leads into the hall).  From there, we just walk barefoot on the tatami mats in our room.  Then she slides the inner door to like a "foyer" area.  (it's not really called a foyer, coz it's not that big, I wouldn't know what you call it.)  This little room leads to the bedroom or to the bathroom.  When you go to the bathroom, you have to wear the "bathroom" slippers.  You are not suppose to walk into any other part of the room with these "bathroom" slippers.

Our bedroom was so spacious compared to Oak Hotel.  In the middle was a heated table with a comforter.  She showed us how to sit in front of it and explained that the table is heated, sit down, and cover our legs with the comforter to keep the heat in.  We made the tea and ate some yummy biscuits.  There was a sitting area in front of the windows that had a great view of Mt.

at the Tokai Nature Trail
Fuji.   Sayori explained that by bedtime, they will remove the heated table and replace it with futons.

After we rested a bit, around 4, we took the Tokai Nature Trail to Oshino Village.  It wasn't much of a "nature trail."  Maybe it was 5 years ago, but they started developing around the area, sooo, I think the "trail" lost its "nature".  hahaha At first we got lost, what else is new!  We ended up at a Fish Aquarium which was neat, but we didn't stay.  We just asked them for directions.  So we walked about 45 min. to Oshino Village.  I felt like walking through Parao, Nanay's place in the Phil.  By the time we got there, it was almost 5pm and most of the little restaurant stalls were closing. :(  But the souvenir shop was still open so we shopped there for a bit.  Oshino Village is also the home of the 8 cold springs, so there were a lot of koi in the water.  It was a nice scenic area because another good view of Mt. Fuji.

Also, this was the first place we saw people drinking spring water from a dragon fountain thing.  The water in Japan is clean, so drinking from it is safe!  But, I didn't try it! ;)  I didn't want to risk getting sick on my vacation!!

After, at we walked back the Tokai Nature Trail and headed back to the Inn.  Since we were pretty tired from our walk, we took an onsen bath.  Luckily the inn allowed families to go into onsen together (private use) and max of 30 min. each time.  We walked down to the onsen wearing our yukata robes.  We entered into the changing area that has little plastic bins.  We left our clothes and slippers there.  Then we went to the shower area of the room, take a little plastic seat to sit on while taking a shower.  There is also a little plastic tub there if you want to dump water on yourself.   We rinsed ourselves thoroughly because no soap can get into the onsen bath.  Then I dipped SLOWLY into the onsen.  It was not just hot, it was BOILING hot. You can probably cook noodles in there!  omg  I probably took a good 10 minutes trying to get into the water.  I don't think we even stayed in there that long.. We had to get out coz it was SO hot.  At least it helped relieve my aching muscles for a short time!  By the time I got out, I was SO red.  lol

Got back to our room and I passed out probably at 9pm. I was so tired.

View of Mt. Fuji from the small to…
View of Mt. Fuji from the small t…
Yamanashi