Memoirs of a random Traveler-Thailand, Islands

Thailand Travel Blog

Part 2 of the Asia trip-blog.
Landed in Phuket airport in the afternoon after about an hour flight from Bangkok. For those traveling to Asia, mainly South-East I highly recommend checking out Air Asia for cheap but very comfortable/new planes flights. I got my flight from BKK to PHK for $49 bucks including a meal (for purchase) oh..and make sure your luggage is not more than 15kg, or you’ll pay extra. (Airasia.com) anyway..I had a car pick me up and they took me to my hotel. It’s a big island with 3 major beaches (Patong, Karon and Kata)
Patong is the most touristy, with many cheaper hotels/hostels and majority of party goers stay there.
Karon and Kata are little bit south of Patong and slightly less party-like but much nicer hotels and beaches. I was staying in Kata, and taking a taxi to Patong at night for well..ya know, the clubs
I’m staying at Sugar Grand-Hillside, which was a bargain..50 bucks per night and included my own infinity pool, golf cart and b-fast, not to mention free wireless and dvd’s (there was a 42 plasma+dvd player in the room) highly recommend this hotel. It’s beautiful and super cheap.
I ‘m very glad to be in Phuket as I had few small daily trips planned and needed some beach time. After hustle and bustle of Bangkok it was such a welcomed view..beach, pool, ocean…bikinis
Really excited for tomorrow, I have a full day ahead of me.
6AM pick up and off to the Phuket Marina where I was getting on a boat to the Island of Phi Phi and the surrounding islands for diving.
Tuesday..Phi Phi.
Early wake up call, and I mean very early..I got back to the room at about 3am and phone rang at 5..very sleepy…but excited. Took about 40 mins to get to the Marina, hopped on the boat and off to Phi Phi.
2 hours later…WOW! What a view.
Phi Phi's beauty is a large chunk of the allure. The islands, when approached by boat, rise from the sea like a fortress. Sheer cliffs tower overhead, and then give way to beach-fronted jungle. It's love at first sight!!
What I also love this place is attitude: few places on the planet are this laid-back. Of the two islands, one is completely free of human inhabitants (Phi Phi Lei), and the other is without roads (Phi Phi Don).
There's no schedule, no hustle-and-bustle, no reason to be in a hurry…is this what heaven looks like?? One thing missing…I wish YOU could see and experience it all this with me!
Underwater, there is amazing variety of fish life, beautiful soft corals, staghorn coral gardens and huge sea fans. On the sandy bottom, leopard sharks can be found resting…AMAZING.
After a full day of fun, I decided to stay on the island and booked a night at the Phi Phi Island Cabana, which was great! Thai Massage (for only 15 bucks) and off to bed..sooo tired..
Wednesday…morning on this beautiful beach that looks straight from the movies, I really don’t want to leave! I feel million miles away from work, stress, traffic, personal life, my mom asking me why I am still single, etc..It is so peaceful here, just me and my ipod, pen and notepad.
My body and mind has never felt better, as one, able to relax and think things through, dream, even work on my script. I LOVE IT. Wish I could stay here and just stay here and write travel books. This place would definitely need more than just words describing it..pictures are a must!
2:30 PM ferry back to Phuket.
Ride seemed looooong. Didn’t get back to the marina until about 6pm. Then traffic in Phuket town..got back to the hotel at about 8ish…straight for another Thai Massage, shower and then getting picked up at 10 to go to town..bar hopping with few Scandinavians from the hotel..life is good! Tomorrow, a trip to the Coral Islands (Koh Hei ) for some snorkeling! Then Thursday to Racha Island and my future honeymoon destination www.theracha.com/ I can’t wait!
then off to Kuala Lumpur on Friday morning, weekend there and then full 8 days in a place I’ve been dying to go for years…Bali.
Part 3 to follow