AsiaMacau

terrible 13

Macau Travel Blog

cant fight the chill in the ruins of St Paul cathedral
Where do I start?

DAY 1. Off to Macau. We got to the airport a little early (say around 5 am?!), as my very logical father aptly said, traffic is unpredictable. This didn’t dampen our spirit, but an extra sleep would have been nice. But he’s the financer, thy will be done.
After the Macau immigration (first of the million) we got to the bus a little late, because my logical father had to pee (he would do this at the most crucial times-he defies the science of sympathetic sphincter control). My family and the three middle-aged women were the last to board the bus. There was a bit of a contest on who gets the last slot of luggage space.
a piece of portuguese/chinese culture in Macau
First-come-first serve basis didn’t sound as logical to this woman’s big-bags-first-argument. And she reminds us so much of our beautiful mother, so like any dutiful children, we accepted our fate with subtle contempt as we carry our not so small luggage in the bus. They would then fill the bus with loud and (hate to admit, then) contagious laughter.

The usual tour guide speech started and so was our adventure. As we started our sightseeing, I don’t know if this is an inherited trait as a child of a soldier or an element of my profession or simply a human nature chismosa (you tell me), in an hour or less I have come up with these diagnosis- the three ladies at the back row were really loud, there’s a quintet wearing same denim coat which was weird and cute,  there’s a couple who I assumed is spending their honeymoon, another couple who I’m really sure have been married for sometime, mother and kids tandem from my birthplace- Baguio, and , a sick looking guy with his wife who didn’t mind doing the macho roles such as bringing all the luggage.
Casino all you want
And before the day ended, we have christened them as Wine Ladies (they brought wine to lunch in a Chinese restaurant), denim girls (obviously), newly weds (god forbids, nothing like the doomed MTV show), the lost chinese couple (they kept us waiting for hours at the immigration only to ditch us in the middle of the rain), the Baguio family who wants chopstix for souvenirs, and,  Flavier and his wife (he looks like the senator), respectively. Well my dad became the famous Daddy-O (he still doesn’t get it why he’s called as such?!)  And you probably suspected my brother as the bird flu carrier.
The immigration trip from Macau to China was crazy, like an episode from Amazing Race with 9 billion Chinese people taking part. I know you guys have better things to say on that part- for me it was plain CRAZY! If the 2 hours or so waiting game in the immigration wasn’t enough, Luna, popularly known as “Juicy,” after stealing our bus and left us in the chilly rain tricked us to a P300 per head dinner.
tired 13 in Macau immigration
These series of unfortunate events started to entangle us like the silk forming worm. A good laugh was our common thread. The Wine Ladies, yes they’re loud, but dead hilarious! They had our table cracking with their nonchalant, witty jokes. The ride to Shen Zhen was long, “four hours at the least”. It was like a bad dream trapped in an endless highway. But it was a tiring day, we all retired in our crampy bus seats, with occasional burst of laughter courtesy of the Wine Ladies. The Denim Quintet shared some Cantonese words for shopping purposes. We were silently taking notes.

DAY 2. Hongkong trip. This time a silent Daisy sent us to Hongkong immigration. The absence of the Wine Ladies was audible, we actually missed their boisterous laughter. Auntie, who denies that’s she’s a comfort woman, survived the long hike to the immigration, of course, with Nephew’s and Niece’s moral support and a glass of Sustagen Premium.  We were met by the energetic (and later we realized a truly INSTIK) Jenny, or you can call her Lucy (single and very available), with her equally INSTIK friend, “laki tyan”, Tommy.
the terrible 13
She was truly captivating, and hypnotized all of us to have our Peso/US dollars changed on her own exchange rate and made us buy the lousy photo plate, 100 HK dollar for each plate for 31 people (do the math!). We also witnessed the China-Hongkong civil war- girls from Shen Zhen stealing Hongkong guys and I assume Jenny, with all the angst, was left a victim of this.

The rest of the group went to Disneyland while my family went around Hongkong, literally. After 6 hours of walking, 2 McDo trips, PSP and digicam searching and solving the subway maze, I was down with a bad flu, brother’s feet was killing him and Daddy-O had to pay the price of aging.  We met the group, with hand full of Disney bags and the tale of the regional disputes -Baguio people vs the barbaric Ilocanos (for more details, ask Auntie Bagiuo.) The train ride back to Shen Zhen and the ever waiting for we-dunno-who gave us time to get to know each other more.
tired faces in hong kong streets
  “Juicy” was the butt (no pun intended) of jokes in the immigration huddle. And thanks to comic “kapatid” Rhea for pointing out the obvious, Auntie is a desert.  Our group is a strange combination of different flava- Fubo guy added the hip hop tang that blends well with Adopted Son’s sociability- a “darling” -they’re roommates too. At one point,
Fubu guy had to be restrained from beating that ashtray-stealing guy from the other group (you miss this shameful part).

DAY 3. Shen Zhen tour. A very energetic Daisy met with us, still the ever eager tourist, but now tightly bonded and more learned  (thanks to Jenny and the Wine Ladies). We were like 13 preschoolers from hell, singing YMCA and the Antipolo song, of course, orchestrated by the Wine Ladies.  We were a nightmare to Daisy's currency exchange business, 120 yuan dinner and lousy photoplate gimmicks. Poor Daisy. But we made amends by buying the Olympics watch (mind you, we spend P250 for battery and repair), which the Ilocanos didn’t find amusing.
enjoying the view of Hong kong
The tour would not be complete with out the kung fu toilets. We, senoritas were like restroom critics- thumbs up or down. McCafe toilet gets my vote for accessibility.

Nothing is so good that last eternity (sing it Wine Ladies). The trip back to Macau was our cue that this good has to end. Exchange of e-mail adds and in-case-you-drop-by-give-me-a-call line filled the air. It was mixed emotions, happy and sad. I never enjoyed group tours, I think it’s silly sharing precious time with people we barely know and will never know. But this was different (charing).

I am waiting for my flight back to Cebu right now (damn its an hour delayed) and work will start tomorrow.
Shen Zhen shopping galore
But before I clean up my luggage, I think this short piece is worth sharing to all of you. It was a good 4 days, for one, its bonding time with Daddy-O and bird flu carrier bro, 2nd, time off from work, 3rd I have 10 more names in my address book, good names.

Auntie Lola, what’s your friendster account? Post your 1 month after look with pearl white and anti wrinkle cream. Stay strong.
Rhea and Ritchel good luck and stay juicy!
Baguio family, Jaja, Auntie Baguio and Emmanuel Fubu stay cool and regards kay Tita Grace.
Wain, not all group tour would be this fun.
lost in the city of hong kong
This was exceptional. I hope your girls like the necklace and the bag.
Wine ladies Miss Cynthia, although you bumped us off our luggage space the 1st day, we don’t hold grudge, in fact, you remind us so much of our beautiful mother whom we miss dearly.
Miss Marissa, we don’t mind carrying your luggage if you take us with you on your next trip abroad…get rid of that duffel bag and stick to Samsonite with wheels.
Miss Girlie, be kind to me, am a struggling doctor who loves my work and doesn’t have plans of writing again in public.

Keep in touch.

XOXO

4th reason- i have a spanking hot red shoes for 40 yuan!
cant fight the chill in  the ruins…
cant fight the chill in the ruin…
a piece of portuguese/chinese cult…
a piece of portuguese/chinese cul…