my June leave

Puerto Galera Travel Blog

Puerto Galera Adventure

Here’s the part where I put my mouth into paper, this time as ordered by my brother rather than my own free will. Well if inspiration eludes me, at least a demand can probably get me into writing.

For starters, I would like to point out why this vacation was different from any other vacations I’ve had. For one, I have planned this trip solely through the benevolence of the internet. I’ve never thought the internet could be so useful from the blogs of what and what nots and the different place to be with out working a sweat! Ofcourse, the countless nights spent in front of the computer gave me headache.

ferry ride to MULLE port

This I would say is the most relaxing vacations I ever had in ages, the kind where I actually have siesta and time to read a book and chitchat while basking in the sun. While I don’t mind doing the amazing-race or doing some adrenaline-rush-vacations, this change in itinerary was actually very welcome. Although, I must say this trip started a bit rough, having to rush to Sir Dido to have the car’s batteries changed before closing time and going to the hospital before the night starts to change the cab rate. And squeeze in extra time to pack and do my “leave” papers. To cap it all, I have to wake up really early for my flight. Well, excitement kept me in high spirits. For weeks, I was wearing a silly smile just thinking of this vacation.

Well another difference is we have to drive down to our destination, literally.

from a distance view of cocobeach aboard a boat taxi
Although, the package included a 10 USD for transportation, we settled with father’s wheels so we can have our own pacing. It was an easy two-hour drive to Sto Tomas where we picked Gol in his place and he treated us with a very Sto. Tomas brunch- courtesy of Chowking.  Energized, we drove down to the port, once in awhile stopping to ask a locale for directions. The rest as they say was history.

Peurto Galera, I can’t recall how we ended up with this destination but am very sure finances and time element was the main concern (definitely, in that order). After countless nights of web searching for the perfect place to stay in Puerto Galera, I have stumbled in to this resort- CocoBeach and it was love at first sight. Having said that, it discounts all its credibility but I pursued it anyway. It’s a good thing, the off peak season has started so rates are budget friendly. After a little convincing (or maybe I sounded demanding) to my vacation mates- bro and pap and additional recruit- cuz, we we’re set to CocoBeach on the 8th of June.

a welcome drink to quench a traveller's thirst
Its on the tip of the island of Mindoro. One has to take the ferry boat from the Batangas port to Mulle. Our ferry boat took a quick stop in Sabang port and drop us off where a water taxi will take us to the private resort of CocoBeach. Having laid my eyes on some Sabang Resorts in the internet, I was glad I didn’t get a place there. It looked so crowded and didn’t offer seashore. A little boat took us to CocoBeach for an overpriced rate of PHP 200 (its usually PHP 180). We were welcomed with the beautiful clear waters fronting the resort and the not so friendly people of the resort. Our rooms were a hike away and it was breathtaking (literally to some). It has seaside view and numerous plants that I can only recall naming in my botany class. Having gone through the resort’s website probably more than necessary, I was playing tour guide to my small group. As mentioned, the staff was not naturally friendly. I was expecting a tour of the their intricate landscape from a staff as this was mentioned in their 101 activities, but like any other freebies activities, this turned out to be a disappointment.
revolving restaurant
Again, this wouldn’t dampen our high spirits. The search for the Silent pool consumed our afternoon and our energy. But when we finally reach the place it was glorious. We took a dip in their fresh water pool and had some drinks during happy hour. We had a hearty dinner in their Carabao restaurant. They offer an array of food choices to which “cuz” our budget secretary didn’t have much difficulty managing. It was quite a task since we all have niceties (no veggies, no fish, more rice and a must for soup).  The resort has free island hopping tour-Bayanan, where we earned the signature I-had-a-vacation-tan. The sun was definitely on our side. We had plenty of time just lazing around playing mind games- Harry’s world was a hit, speed vs velocity vs acceleration (would you believe this?!), talking nonsense and occasionally with sense. It was so laid back, but still we find ourselves tired at the end of the day where a mosquito net-draped bed awaits us.

On our way home, instead of just taking the boat for the Sunday mass in Mulle, we started our voyage home earlier.

testing the waters
And a good lady (bless her!) from Golden lines (can’t recall the name of their shipping lines- their ferry boat has golden bird for its name) offered us a free ride to White beach while waiting for our ferry ride back in Mulle to Batangas port. We spent a good hour or two in that bakasyonista infested part of Puerto Galera. And yes, we did some shopping. Having seen the key parts of Puerto Galera, we were definite that our stay in CocoBeach was the best, location, price and accommodation wise.

This weekend was a blast. Again, bonding with family, draining my finances and body sores, it was all worth it. I live to spend days like this. For the rest of my travel mates, work resumes after the long weekend. Like they say, back to reality, I say, another day close to my next adventure.

P.

too early for dinner
S.  As of this writing, I have forgotten the dismay I had with Summit Club for not granting me a fair solution with my expiring miles.   And I still haven’t finished the screwtape letters.

RATING

Hotel/resort – love it!

Location- great. you don’t need to be a botanist to appreciate this place.

Food- okay. Spam can come very handy.

Staff- unfriendly, although they try.

nightlights in Cocobeach

Rooms- dreamy! Except for the shower.

Beach- like most of the galera beach, sand is a bit rough. Bring your diving booties.

ferry ride to MULLE port
from a distance view of cocobeach …
from a distance view of cocobeach…
a welcome drink to quench a travel…
a welcome drink to quench a trave…
welcome to cocobeach