A history lesson before hometime.

Baltimore Travel Blog

Lena scraping the snow off the car.
Today was my last day in Annapolis:((( I didn't have to be at the airport until about 4 pm so Mark mentioned a trip up to Baltimore to Fort McHenry. I had never heard of this place but I'm up for checking out any new place.

After a short film I found out that this is where the so-called second war in independence took place. The Brits wanted to take Baltimore as they considered it full of pirates. The resulting canon fight in which the Brits lost was witnessed by a Francis Scott Key who wrote a poem about what he saw and it later became the national anthem. After I heard this it all seem to make sense. We've all heard the Star Spangled Banner but it seemed to just be a bunch of words put together that didn't make sense.
How wrong I was. After that revelation we went for a little stroll around the fort. We saw the sleeping quarters, guard room and jail cells. Today was very cold though so it was quite a quick stroll before we drove back to Annapolis for lunch.

Because it rained so much yesterday I didn't get to see much of the town but today, the sun was out. We had lunch at Chick and Ruth's Delly and then went back home to pack and drive back to Dulles. The airport was very quiet so after I dropped my bag off we went to the only bar in the whole terminal and had a drink and a chat about the weekend.

The flight home was very short but eventful as always with Virgin Atlantic. My seat tray latch was broken so I had to hold it up until they turned the seatbelt liht off so I could move. I moved over one seat. The tray latch was fine but the remote control only worked if it was stowed. On top of that the food was inedible and some kid a couple of rows in front vomited all over her parents and the floor. Nice.

Mark and Lena. Thank you so much for a perfect weekend getaway. If you ever pass through London I will return your hospitality. You are welcome any time.

marksreynolds says:
So glad you cane to visit us and that you had a good time!! :)
Bad news about the trip home...and a kid vomiting too!! Ewwwwww!!
Posted on: Dec 20, 2009
Lena scraping the snow off the car.
Thats for being rebellious!
That's for being rebellious!
Inside the sleeping quarters.
Inside the sleeping quarters.
photo by: freak0ut