A full day in DC.

Washington Travel Blog

Ever since I saw somebody's photos of the Korean war memorial I've wanted to see it for myself, as well as all the other memorials and monuments around town. After I'd booked my flights Mark suggested that the three of us go to DC on the Friday. He also said that anything I wanted to see they would show me. Now, I only know very few things about DC so I went and bought myself a guide book to start picking things out. Anyone who'e been there knows how big it is and you make a list of what you want to see and then prioritise. This is essential because you will never see all of it.

The day started with Mark making breakfast. We were all up quite early which was really nice as there was no need to rush. After we were all ready we got in the car and drove the 20 minutes to the nearest Metro station, New Carrolton.
I always find city metros very interesting as I'm so familiar with the London one. I've found that they are pretty much laid out the same and once you've figured out your way around one of them the others are easy. Except for the one in Paris. That one is nuts!

Our first stop was the Arlington Cemetery as it was the furthest away. We were quite lucky with the weather today as well. It was pretty cloudy but it didn't rain and the temperature was about right for the amount of walking we were about to do. Once at the cemetery we decided on the things we wanted to see and ticket them off as we went. First stop was the grave of JFK. Then we headed towards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. And as luck would have it, just as we arrived they were about to do the changing of the Guard ceremony.
Great stuff.

Next stop was the Iwo Jima. It's not actually inside the walls of the cemetery and it's a bit of a hike but worth it. I had no idea how big it was. We had a walk around it and took some photos before heading back to the Metro.

It was coming up too lunch and there was only one place to go. Ben's Chilli Bowl. I'd read Marks review on this place and though it looked like fun. The queue was quite small today and we placed our order before finding a table. The atmosphere was great. All the staff seemed to really have fun there singing and dancing and all of them were smiling! Something we don't get back in the UK.

After lunch we went to see all the war memorials and the Lincoln memorial etc. It's all the kind of things that you grow up seeing pictures of but don't ever imagine you'll see with your own eyes.
The Lincoln memorial is one of the most impressive things I've seen. Just the sheer size of it is hard to convey in pictures.

After that we started walking towards the National Archives. It was starting to get dark and we weren't sure what time the place shut. We got with 30 minutes to spare and a minor altercation at the security check the three of us made it in to building.

We didn't hace much time in here but it was almost empty so saw what we came to see. I think by now all of us were quite tired and I know that my feet were crying out for a break so the decision was made to head back to Annapolis.

After a quick break we headed out for dinner. I love seafood and I'd seen pictures of Adrian and Myra's visit where they went to some crab place. It was a little place called Cantlers. It's one of those places you have to be shown where it is. Even with directions I reckon you'd fail. My first Maryland blue crab experience was no let down. It was the nicest crab I've ever tasted! I definitely could've eaten some more of those.

What a fantastic day!
marksreynolds says:
We are so happy you enjoyed it!!
Posted on: Dec 14, 2009
JFK and Jackie O
JFK and Jackie O
Tomb of the unknown soldier. Chang…
Tomb of the unknown soldier. Chan…
Look! Hes definitely waving at us.
Look! He's definitely waving at us.
Washington Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Well worth a visit.
Ben's Chili Bowl is an old DC landmark. Established in 1958 and frequented by many a familiar face. Bill Cosby, Michelle Obama and her kids are the on… read entire review
photo by: b93sp