Where to go...

London Travel Blog

After me and my friends got back from Vegas I wrote an email to Virgin Atlantic to complain about the disgusting service we had had to put up with on the way back. 3 weeks later I received a grovelling apology along with a nice amount of air miles credited to my account. I fancied a break and the only time off I could get was before christmas. The only problem I had was picking a place to go. My choices were New York, Boston, DC, LA, Dubai or The Bahamas. I'd really wanted to visit somewhere on the east coast of the US as I had never been there. I put it up on facebook for a little guidance and received various answers. Mark Reynolds, a fellow TBer suggested DC as he and his wife, Lena live in Annapolis and I could stay with them! A couple of days later I booked it and today is the day of the trip.

I got up fairly to drive to Heathrow. it's only 75 miles but the traffic is very unpredictable. I got there with plenty of time and there wasn't a queue for the bag drop. Security was the usual hassle but I always get over that with a glass of something alcoholic.

The flight was ok. It was almost empty! I arrived at Dulles at about 3.30 pm and the queue at immigration was HUGE!! On top of that everyone in front of me seemed to not speak very good English so it took forever. At one point someone even tried to push in front of me. Lucky for him that he didn't. Because it took so long to get through there all the baggage had been taken off the carousel and moved about so i spent another 20 minutes trying to find my bag.

I found Mark waiting for me. he had even printed out a TB sign with my name on it just incase we didn't recognise each other. Of course as we left the airport we hit rush hour traffic. We had a nice chat on the way back to Annapolis and when we got home Lena was there and we all had a glass of wine while Mark prepared the lovely dinner. The rest of the evening was pretty chilled out. We chatted, watched a hockey game and drank some more wine. All in all, a good start to a great weekend.

photo by: ulysses