Day One in Syndey

Sydney Travel Blog

harbour bridge
I am not going lie, i was not looking forward to the flight, i have trouble sitting down for 3 hours to watch a movie with my girlfriend, the thought sitting or 14 hours did not sit well with me. i am happy to say that the flight went very well and i had a great time. the plane was well equipped and i would not have been surprised if it was actually one of the flagship aircraft for Virgin.

i traveled in the economy section, they give you the basic amenities (pillow, blanket, eye cover) and they serve two meals, one dinner and one breakfast. both means were much better then I was expecting and considering they are reminiscent of microwaveable dinners were good (not that i am very picky with food). one of the coolest parts of the plane was the first class section, the chairs are the ultimate recliners and go to a full 180 degree.
quey harbour

The plane is well equipped, it has an amazing on board entertainment center. it allowed you, to watch any movies(these include new ones just released versus old shitty ones), TV series everything from American shows(the office, scrubs etc) to Australian or Thai ones. there were lots of different types of series to choose from but the show selection is limited. the flight staff were friendly and courteous, the food is standard airplane food. the only terrible part of the experience was that i was unable to sleep, but luckily the on-board entertainment system is so good that i was entertained at the same time i wanted to claw my eyes out because i was so tired.

the oddest experience so far of the trip has to be disembarking from the airplane. i don't know if any of you have been to the Toronto Zoo before but i was an avid goer as a kid, so much so i was able to convince my whole family to get year memberships, when it was definitely not need, i mean how many times does a zoo change in a year or the fact that it is only at full tilt 3 months out of the year during the summer.
anyways i digress... Australia, or maybe it is just the airport, because i don't notice it anymore, smells like the south pacific pavilion in the Toronto zoo. for me this was not a bad thing and i had a stupid goofy grin on my face the whole time i was walking out of the terminal.

the weather is not the best here right now, though it is nice and warm it is humid, i have not determined if i am not acclimatised to it yet, as my body is expecting winter. it is kinda cloudy.

i am not sure how i am liking my first hostel experience. it is definitely completely different to anything else i have done before. it is so different in fact i can feel myself wanting to be exclusive, and starting to head that way. my only immediate self relief is that it is obvious that others feel this way too, and i think all it takes is a simple question or just saying hi to break it.
no idea
to be honest i am so jet lagged right now that i am too tired to attempt that as i am finding it hard to concentrate on this right now. every part of my body is screaming at me to go to bed, and i cannot wait for it. i think this experience now will either be very good for me or very bad, as i will have to take the jump and start reaching out to people or face a very very lonely isolated experience through this trip, part of me wishes i had come with people so the hard part is taken care of , but i know at the same time it is just a cope out, and that would have just lead to further isolation as there would be know need to meet new people as i would have friends to fall back on, partially defeating the purpose of this trip, though as i type this i really don't know why i am here, why i gave up the best paying job of my life, the greatest girlfriend i have ever had, who made me feel more comfortable about being me than i felt comfortable with myself, and made me strive to better every day just for her.
sydney

the hostel is very nice, it definitely does not feel like i am slumming it and it only cost me 30 for the night. i will definitely have to take some pictures of it when i have the time, though i was out and about 5 hours today walking the streets, and was reluctant to take photographs because it made me feel like a tourist which is retarded because i am one.

i cant think about anything else to write so this is it for today, it is only 4 pm so i am sure there will be more stuff going on later. plus i have to figure out what i am going to do, have to look around for stuff to do in Sydney.

the second part of this day went much better then the first, i am writing this a couple of days after the events.
harbour

i got up the courage to talk to one of roommates and we both had nothing going on so every night the hostel holds events, this one was a beer and a burger for 5$ so we decided to go with that. during that i made 5 friends out of the group that went. one guy was from Germany, one was from the Yukon (he had just spent the year in NZ and was only visiting Sydney because he was waiting for his other visa to come through, there was a couple, she was from panama and he was from Colorado, one was from France.

we all relaxed under the stars and talked while we ate kangaroo meat. it is really good it tastes a lot like steak but with no fat on it. i will definitely have it again. it was a great way to end the day after the shitty lonely start, and really picked  up my spirits, the best part about it is that they are still my friends, even in my short time here it really seems like single serving friends (a reference to fight club for those that don't know).
cockatoo island
what i mean by this is that you meet people and talk to them and introduce yourself normally go on to explain where you are from why you are there, what have you done so far, share some funny stories, and what your next plans will be. but after that for whatever reason you will go your separate ways, and may or may not see the person again. but for all intents and purposes the friendship is over. but with all 5 people i have maintained connections with them, even the German guy who moved on, we exchanged on contact information, and will hook up again i am sure. the only one i have not is the guy from the Yukon as he went back to NZ and we didn't see each other before he left.  the couple and I are contemplating on traveling together as we are both headed south so we will see how that works out.

zoo