Pearl Harbor Historic Sites and the Waikiki Aquarium

Honolulu Travel Blog

No time for sleeping in. With the time difference still in my body it wasn´t a problem getting up. Went to the Jamba Juice bar, grabbed some breakfast, met Aloha_Keith and set of for Pearl Harbor Historic Sites. I wanted to visit the Arizona Memorial, but typically enough it was closed for maintenance exactly the days I was in Hawaii!

We went to the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park. Here you can buy tickets for USS Bowfin, Battleship Missouri Memorial and the Pacific Aviation Museum. A combination ticket will set you back $42. You are not allowed to carry any kind of handbags, backpacks or camera bags to any of these sites. For $3 you can check in your bag at the baggage storage at the USS Bowfin Park. I really don´t understand how it works. Before I turned in my backpack I took my wallet, camera and lens out, which means that I left an empty backpack.
You can bring the content of your bag, but not the bag itself. I don´t understand it, do you? It is not recommended to leave valuables in the car.

After we had followed all the security procedures and bought our tickets, it was time to enter the USS Bowfin, SS-287 (see separate review).

From the USS Bowfin and Submarine Museum we got on the shuttle bus to Ford Island and the Battleship Missouri Memorial. The shuttle bus is included in the ticket. It was on this ship the Japanese sign the surrender treaty which ended World War II.
A visit to the ship can be done in three different ways:
1. On a 35 minutes guided tour with a war veteran.
2. On a 2 hour self-guided audio tour.
3. On your own.
We choose the last option and was given a map of the boat.
You are supposed to follow the green arrows, but this showed to be quite difficult as the path was blocked in many places. Walking on your own turned out to be a bit confusing. Without a tour guide you can neither go under deck nor visit some parts of the ship. If you want to visit the Battleship Missouri Memorial I would recommend the 35 minutes guided tour. It will give you a brief history of the ship as well as access to closed parts of the ship. Then you can walk around on your own.

From the Battleship Missouri Memorial we hopped on the shuttle bus again, and this time to the Pacific Aviation Museum. With the morning full of history we were ready for lunch. I was hungry and needed a break to digest everything. We enjoyed a nice lunch at the Gordon Biersch at the Aloha Tower Marketplace.
My favorite is lobster soup and they had it. No doubt what I was getting. I also tried Keith´s favorite, the garlic fries.

By now it was closed to 4 pm, but I still wanted to visit the Waikiki Aquarium. Keith was so nice, not only did he take me there, but he accompanied me on the visit as well. He does volunteer work at the aquarium so I was luck to to be able to enjoy his knowledge of the marine life. After the aquarium we stopped by Leonard´s Bakery, a Portuguese bakery, for some malasadas before Keith took me back to my hotel.

My first full day in Honolulu had been a fantastic one. I enjoyed the places we visited, but it made the day even better with the good company of Keith. Thank you very much my friend. After this busy day with so many new impressions I went to bed completely exhausted, but very happy.
Submarine rescue chamber (SRC-15) …
Submarine rescue chamber (SRC-15)…
Kaiten - one man Japanese suicide …
Kaiten - one man Japanese suicide…
Honolulu Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Good place for a healthy breakfast
Breakfast was not included at my hotel, so I went to the Ala Moana Mall since it was nearby and found Jamba Juice. It opens at 8:00 am and is a pe… read entire review
Honolulu Sights & Attractions review
USS Bowfin
USS Bowfin was opened to the public in 1981 after a group of volunteers had cleaned and restored her after years of neglect. Her life started when sh… read entire review
Honolulu Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Wonderful malasadas
I had read about Leonard´s Bakery and their delicacies in a guide book and just had to check it out. And I´m very glad I did. Leonard´s is a Por… read entire review
photo by: crystalware