First stop and start driving forwards, yay!

Matucana Travel Blog

hehe
There would be just 2 stops during the journey and it was around 9am when we arrived to the first one. This small station's name is San Bartolome. The train stopped there for a couple of minutes, so we all would be able to leave the train and walk for a bit. It was very warm and sunny outside, great weather!

First time I noticed there were so many people at the train, including a group of high school students. The stop lasted almost 1/2 hour, during this time, in order to turn table. No more going backwards, this time we'd start going forwards, yay! The air was a bit drier, which indicated we were getting higher. San Bartolome is over 1,500m high, which is nothing compared to the highest point we'd reach later almost 4,800m, pffff.
Anyway, it was fun to walk around the station and of course perfect opportunity to take pictures :P

Well, it was time to reassume the journey.
crossing a river
Landscape was definitely changing. Mountains were getting higher, sky was deep blue and also the vegetation was changing too. Also there were fewer towns and the ones you could see were smaller. The big highway crossing highlands looked so tiny... At this point you started to cross tunnels and go over bridges. There are 69 tunnels, 58 bridges and 6 zig-zags...

What a beautiful scenery, but I had to study... I would spend a couple of days out of Lima, but needed to do some homework and read, so doing it while I was driving the train wasn't that bad. Anyway, it was 11:30am when we thought it was time for our complimentary pisco, hahaha. I saw quite a few people going to the last wagon - the bar one - and was intrigued to see how it was.
cute tunnel

It was a very nice bar! Liked it! Got my complimentary pisco, which was a small cup but ok. I heard someone saying he was worried about the altitude sickness and a guy at the bar said the best thing is not to think about that matter and have a good pisco, hahaha. Don't think this is the best for altitude sickness, but is a good excuse for a pisco sour, hehehe. By the way at this point we have already reached the 3,300m and kept on going up and you could see how some people started to feel bad... pfff I was forgetting to say that from the "Infiernillo" bridge, which is 3,300, you could do bungee jumping, wheeeeee.
yadilitta says:
It's a good one, you'll have fun :)
Posted on: Dec 19, 2009
callufrax says:
I will have to take this journey, some day!
Posted on: Dec 18, 2009