Trampolines make life worth living.

East Lansing Travel Blog

A little blurry. A lot of fun.
After several long weeks at home... okay, I lied, after just over a week at home, I hopped on a train and headed back to East Lansing. I began to think about making this trip after I started having symptoms of withdrawl... I realized that in my state of severe denial about the finality of graduation, I didn't say goodbye to 99.9% of my friends. And unlike me, they will not be returning to EL next semester because they're setting off into the real world instead of being stuck in a 5 year program that will leave them completely broke (I'm not bitter.)

So I was borderline on my way back to Michigan anyway... and then, I had a conversation with my mom that went a little something like this:
Me: "You know, maybe I'm just being dramatic.
Sarah gives it a shot.
When I graduated high school, all I talked about for at least a year was how I wished I was back in high school... but now that I've stepped back a bit, I realize how ridiculous that was for me to think. So, maybe I just need to give it some time and I'll start to appreciate being a real, graduated adult."
My mom: "No. College is a pretty amazing time. It's not really matched by anything else in life. Few responsibilities, lots of fun... You'll never experience anything like it again. Welcome to the real world."

Wow. Encouraging. I immediately rushed to amtrak.com and booked my tickets so I could pretend I was still an undergrad for at least 3 more precious, precious days.

So, one 16 hour train ride later, I'm back in East Lansing. The weather has been absolutely beautiful, so this afternoon Laura, Sarah, Katy and I headed to Lou and Harry's for dinner and drinks on the outdoor patio.
Laura gets some air.
.. relaxing outside with good company, good food and good drinks has always been one of my favorite things in the world, but today I realized i love it even more during the summer when most students have already left campus and i don't have to wait in line for 5 days to get a table. So, we got a table right away and we all sat around for a few hours enjoying a few pitchers and some toasted hoagies (another reason I love Lou and Harry's... they call sub sandwiches by their proper name - "hoagies". Yeah Southeast Pennsylvania!) while some other friends wandered in and out (and yes, I did my best to say my official goodbyes this time. tear.)

A few hours later, we decided to head to another bar to watch the Pistons, Tigers and Redwings games. Yes, thats right, all three were playing that night... basically heaven on MSU's campus. I caught on quickly after moving to Michigan. We tried to get into Buffalo Wild Wings, but it was packed... so while we wandered the streets deciding where to go (ultimately, we settled on PT's. typical.), we stumbled across a very large trampoline sitting in someone's front yard. One of us remembered hearing a story about our friends Dieter and Mo, who had been shopping together a few weeks before when they suddenly decided that buying a trampoline was the best possible thing for them to do with their money. We immediately concluded that this must be the trampoline, and we called Dieter, who was in Saginaw at the time. "DIETER! CAN WE JUMP ON YOUR TRAMPOLINE??" we all screamed into Laura's cell phone. "You bet. If anyone questions you, just tell them Dieter sent you," was his reply. Very official. And with that, it was settled. For the next 20 minutes, we were 5 years old again.

In true Anna fashion, I remembered that my camera was in my purse, and I insisted on doing some jump photography... it was a trampoline after all, how could i resist?! The outcome was... not the best quality pics. But memorable all the same.
East Lansing