A surprise castle on the Zurichsee with a view of the Alps!

Rapperswil Travel Blog

Alps in the mist
 Soon, we were approaching the little islands that are near Rapperswil. One of them even has a lone church on it. Surrounded by water and only the Alps behind, it seems as remote as one can get.

Looking back behind us, the side of the lake where the sun was over, had a mist that made for a impressionist sort of image with a haziness and beautiful shadows.

I had been paying so much attention to the sunny side of the lake with the snow capped peaks that I totally missed the approach to Rapperswil. I walked to the other side of the deck only to be shocked at what I saw. I had no idea what this town was and why it was significant but, one look and I knew that it was special. There was a great fortress out on a peninsula. Within it’s walls there was a hill with castle on top and many turrets.

Rapperswil Castle and the tranquil beauty around
The town seemed to be attached to the fortress, one protecting the other. The buildings were fairy tale like with gingerbread looking designs and frescoes of many colors. Rapperswil had its own Christmas market sitting at the water’s edge.

The old town is dominated by the Castle of Rapperswil located at the Rapperswil peninsula on Lake Zürich perched atop a hill (Herrenberg). The castle dates back to the early 13th century (first mentioned in 1229). In 1350, it was destroyed by Rudolf Brun, the mayor of Zürich, and was rebuilt in 1352/54 by Albrecht II, Duke of Austria. Deer inhabit lands surrounding the castle. Since 1870, the castle has been home to the Polish National Museum created by Polish Immigrants.

Our visit was brief, I couldn’t even get off the boat but, what a treasure, I have found. I will return to Zurich and visit Rapperswil and learn all of its secrets.

As the boat made its turn to start back a bit more of the cute little town and it’s grand fortress was revealed…..WOW!

Alps in the mist
Rapperswil Castle and the tranquil…
Rapperswil Castle and the tranqui…
Rapperswil