Greetings from San Jose!

Zapote Travel Blog

I intended to start this blog nearly a week ago. Unfortunately, I did not take many pictures my first few days, then I did not realize that internet cafes were not open on weekends in San Jose, and yesterday the power went out due to the rain in a country that has rain every day for more than half of the year. Strange stuff, eh?

Anyway, I live with Marielos Vargas and Jorge Carvajal in Barrio Corduba, Zapota, San Jose, Costa Rica. This is the South East Sector of the City, which is a predominetly upper middle class and upper class area. Even the president of Costa Rica lives here, the Presidential Mansion is less than 2 kilometers from where I sit.

I intend to tell the story of studying Spanish, the lingua fraca, and living in a different culture. While Costa Rica is very Americanized, it has many differences from the culture we are used in the United States. I will touch on houses, expressions, food, drinks, and general things that make me realize that I am in a completely different place.

So far, my adventures have consisted of going to class, visting San Jose Centro, frequenting local bars and restaurants, and attempting to communicate with my family.

The only place I have gone beyond the 4 km to Central San Jose is the Britt Coffee Plantation in Heredia, which is about 35 km from here. I saw actual coffee beans growing, a small mammal that turned out to be a red squirrel and NOT a monkey, and how coffee is roasted. Not to mention we had a great lunch that was included in the tour.

There are 25 of us here from Millsaps, including Dr. Robert Kahn, who is looking out for us here in a foreign land. I at least knew who everyone but two people were before arriving here. Enjoy the pictures and look for an update on las carres y motocieletas of Costa Rica tomorrow.

I miss everyone and hope that life goes on without me there.

Note-It seems that's photo uploading page is currently down. I will try again later.

Eric says:
Hi Kevin, the photo uploading page should be up. Are you getting an error or anything when you try uploading the photos? Thanks for letting me know.
Posted on: May 22, 2007