I wish I had a camera...

Santa Barbara Travel Blog

Here I am on my lunch break. The view from my office window is absolutely gorgeous on clear days like today. I’m up on the 6th floor above an outdoor shopping mall called Paseo Nuevo. When I need a quick break from my desk work, its the perfect place to go for a minute or two of people watching (one of my favorite hobbies). There is a little plaza with fountains and tables and umbrellas… seriously, why don’t I live somewhere where I could eat my lunch outside in a plaza like that every day if I wanted? Oh, New York…

But my favorite part about this office is my view of the mountains. At first I was only excited about living so close to the ocean, but the mountains are quickly becoming another great thing about this city. In the mornings here, it is usually really cloudy and foggy, but the mountains still look so beautiful covered in mist like that. It gets me by until the day warms up and the clouds burn off. I haven’t had a chance to actually go hiking up there yet, but its on the agenda. A kid I met, Brandon, is way into anything outdoors, and we’re making plans for all of us to go camping one of these weekends. But Brandon decided to be a good person and go help rebuild houses for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, so he’s been out of town for a week or so. Till then, we’re all just waiting around for his mountain-man skills.

For a while there, I was starting to get really sad that it was so dreary all the time, but this week is turning out to be great weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be nothing but sun, and I am going out on a 12 or 13 hour research trip with the other two interns on a NOAA boat, the R/V SHEARWATER. We will be doing some work monitoring a sea bird called the Ashy Storm-petrel, counting eggs and nests and chicks and all that. Needless to say, I feel very important getting to go on a government research vessel :) But really, I’m extremely excited about this. It means I will finally be getting to go out to the Channel Islands… and something wasn’t right about the fact that I am working for the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and I had never even seen the sanctuary before. And on top of that, there is honestly nothing I love more than being close to the water.

Hopefully the beautiful weather will hold up and I can spend the weekend at the beach… surfing lessons are calling my name.

Oh, and marathon training starts this week… wish me luck.