Night transport from Bangkok to Koh Tao.

Bangkok Travel Blog

Fireworks for the king.
On the evening of my fourth day in Bangkok (which happened to be the fifth of December, also known as the Kings birthday), I met up at the Lomprayah office in Thanon Rambuttri for the night bus/ferry combo down to the islands.
I had bought the ticket there a few days earlier for 800bht, and my main concern was that it would be pretty crowded.
It wasn't. When getting on the bus, a few hundred meters from their office, I got a two seater to my self, and although this bus wasn't completely new, it was really comfortable. I have actually been on first class flights with worse seats.
So the bus started moving right on time, and we got just about one meter, before we came to a complete stop. Apparently, we had touched a tuk-tuk when pulling out from the bus stop, and they spent exactly one hour filling out the insurance forms.
Lots of people leaving Bangkok.
So again, at 2200 at night, we were once more good to go. Only one hour dalayed. The bussdriver drove on another meter, and was then stuck in the worst traffic jam I have ever seen. We then spend the next two hours trying to get out of Bangkok, together with approx 4 million Thai's who had celebrated the Kings birthday. When crossing the river about 1 hour 55 minutes later (3,7 km from our starting point)it was a pretty smooth ride the rest of the way (We only had one stop on the way though, so stock up on snacks and water before you leave), and we arrived at Chumphon ferry terminal about 45 minutes before the ferry left. Either the bus driver must have driven ridiculously fast to make up time, or they had originally scheduled a pretty extensive wait at the terminal.
Mopeds are really the best choice of transportation.

So we all sat in the waiting room, which was actually a patch of sand with some beach chairs, watched the sunrise, and smoked with both hands before walking what felt like a kilometer out the (not so steady) pier to the Lomprayah Catamaran ferry

On the Top Ten list of jobs I Don't want, we have reached number seven: Puke attendant on the Chumpon-Koh Tao catamaran ferry. The poor guys were handing out barf bags and tissues as fast as humanly possible, and still I saw people hurling into their own mouths, some leaky plastic bags they had brought their snacks in, running out out of the cabin with both hands covering their mouth etc, etc.
Allthough I rarely get seasick myself, I actually felt a little queezy after listening to that mess. Thankfully my noise cancelling earphones and Porcupine Tree on full blast managed to keep most of the sounds from Hurl-Fest 09 out.
The ferry over to Koh Tao

We eventually hit calm waters, and arrived at the beautiful Koh Tao in the morning, after just a quick stop at the little neighboring island. Most of us got of the boat, but some people stayed on to continue to Koh Phangan or Koh Samui.
All in all, a really nice trip, but for Gods sake, if you are prone to getting seasick, take a pill. Those poor guys on the ferry really didn't deserve that. Also, Bring enough water and snacks for the bus ride and keep a sweater in your carry on luggage, the bus got really cold during the night.
Lots of people leaving Bangkok.
Mopeds are really the best choice …
Mopeds are really the best choice…
Bangkok