A day on the bike and lagom!

Koh Phangan Travel Blog

A viewpoint on the island
Today was fuh-uhn!  Anthony decided to go on an organized snorkelling trip today which I had no interest on going on.  As I plan to go diving on my next island, Koh Tao, and since I have already snorkelled numerous times thus far, I decided there was no point in joining him on the tour.  I knew that I also had no interest in sitting by the pool for another day and thus I had to find something different to do.  Before I came to Koh Phangan I had few expectations for this island.  It seemed like nothing but the host of the world's biggest beach party.  My 6 night hotel minimum stay seemed more like a liability than something to look forward to.
Disgusting - Safari on the island.
Having said that, on this, my last day on this island, I realized that I really liked Koh Phangan.  Not like it was an epiphany or anything but I was yet again reminded of how it is all about the people you are with rather than where you are.  Most good memories I have from this trip, and on a larger scale, in life, are with people.  They don't need to be family or friends but anyone you have a connection with.  The point of this run on tangent is Koh Phangan was more about the people I was with and Who I met rather than the island itself.  When I compare it to an island like Phi Phi, i have way fonder thoughts of Phangan, albiet Phi Phi's natural beauty.  Today, I really wanted to see what Phagnan had behind it's theatrical curtains.
A range I found on the island.
What was Phangan like before the full moon madness began.  I jumped on my scooter and headed north.  Our hotel is situated just south of the town of Thon Sala where I stopped at the market for a quick snack.  BBQ chicken. Rediculously tasty.  I asked some guy for directions to get to where I was planning on going and he told me that on my scooter, with rain upon us, my trip was quite dangerous.  I felt I'd be fine, the professional scooterer that I am but I also find zero point in taking unneccessary risk and planned a new trip.  Destination: anywhere.  I started to drive and drive and drive.  The feeling of the warm humid air against my face was amazing, as if I were driving a Harley on route 66.  Eventually I saw a sign directing traffic to a national park with a waterfall and viewpoint.
Random Beach
 Perfect.  I bought some snacks and started trekking.  Everyone I passed told me the waterfall was pretty weak so I decided to skip it and take the long route up to the viewpoint.  This slope felt like 90 degrees but when I got there it was well worth it.  Like an eagle, I was able look out over the beautiful island of Phangan.  Righ green foliage covered the flat lands that merged into it's sandy shores.  Quite a sight it was.  After making my way back down, I continued driving until I started seeing signs for a safari. Once I arrived I immediately regretted it.  I'm having such a hard time seeing these animals in captivity.  Elephants with massive chains around their legs unable to do anything other than nothing.  Besides the elephants there were 3 monkeys, chained by the neck to posts.  I've seen these animals in the wild before and this was just too unnatural to look at it.  An Asian tourist, about 14, was screwing with the one monkey, stomping his foot in front of the primate, totally freaking it out but it being Comepletely powerless to defend itself.  I've never, ever wanted to hit a child but if there was ever a time to lose my virginity in that category, now was it.  I did want to ride the elephant as new experiences are what I look for but I had no interest in supporting this company or the industry in general.  I motored forward eventually running into a bow and arrow shooting range.  Now we're talking. I shot bows and arrows at a target becoming quite skilled at it by the end.  I was ready to hunt :) I trekked on, following the perimeter of the island checking out all the amazing scenery that was there to be seen.  I arrived at some small town where I was able to find a French bakery and enjoyed some delicious pasterries before moving forward.  I passed a bar close to where we were staying called The Jam where they told me they'd be playing live music all night.  I knew it was exactly what I wanted to do later on.  When I returned to the hotel I hung out at the pool for a little bit to wait for Anthony to return from his trip which I knew would be imminent.  While there, I ran into Ida, one of the three swedes.  She asked what we were up to later and told me that her; her brother, and Linda might want to join.  We exchanged numbers and seperated.  Ant and I decided to try and head to the area near The Jam to catch the sunset on a western facing beach.  The sunset was nice but in no way compared to those of Koh Lanta.  When the sun evntually set, we headed to The Jam for a drink.  It was pretty empty which was perfect as I decides it was now time to become the rockstar I was never intended to be.  There were a couple guys jamming on stage so I jumped on and started playing the bongos.  Eventually Ant joined us on stage for lead vocals and guitar.  It was the first time he had ever performed in front of people so I was reallyexcited to be there for that and help him through it.  We sang Wheat Kings by the tragically Hip and Tears In Heaven by Clapton.  Seriously, so much fun.  We had drums, guitar, bass, bongos, and two singers.  Random but awesome.  When we returned I decided to head to Celja's hotel (broken foot) to say good bye.  I knew we were both leaving tomorrow and would likely never see each other again but I still wanted one more moment.  This girl, I don't know what it was about her, be it her gorgeous looks, bright blue eyes, the freckles that graced the arch of her nose, her cute little Norwegian accent, her warm personality, or the fact that she wouldn't kiss me because she only kisses boys she loves, but I liked her.  Such a sweetheart.  We hung out for about 30 minutes and then said goodbye.  Perhaps it was a sadder moment for me than for her but it was what it was.  I returned to my hotel to find the 3 Swedes waiting on my doorstep ready to go out.  I took a deep breath, got back into party mode and jumped into a cab with them.  Once we arrived into Haad Rin we found some little Psychadelic bar where we were the only ones there and ordered drinks.  Ida and I ordered the special shakes.  No idea what was in it but an hour later I was lying on the couch with my eyes closed cracking what seemed like the funniest jokes.  The other two were really tired so eventually we headed back to the hotel.  Ida and I grabbed the beach lounger and just hang out all night giggling, watching the ocean, the stars, the clouds, and listening to amazing house music.  Ida fell asleep at about 4 but I couldn't so I just lay with her, enjoying the moment.  Eventually at about 6 the sun rose and it was brilliant.  Such  a different feeling, a different vibe from the sunset.  What an amazing day.
Koh Phangan