It ain't Long Beach, California... thankfully.

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

Long Beach, Phi Phi

Okay so I've been writing my blog entries on my ipod and then uploading them from there onto this blog.  Its the reason why my grammer and spelling might be a little poor - I just get lazy with that touch screen.  Anyway - I had just written what was probably my longest description of a day yet and went to select all, did so, and then accidentally pushed the letter u, deleting everything I had written.  AGGGGhhhh.  I know, it has happened to everyone and it has happened to me and it will happen again and it isn't the end of the world but agghhhhh!  I woke up a bit later than usual today, around 8:30.  Its amazing how different the streets of Phi Phi are at 8:30 than they are at 7:45.  All the shops have opened and many of the town's temporary residents have awaken and escaped from within their cacoons that they had used overnight.

Long Beach, Phi Phi
  I much prefer 7:45 but I also prefer sleeping in.  I need my rest.  Hanging out all day on beaches is tough work.  I have to read, and swim, and listen to music, and chat with pretty girls.  Its tough man.  Anyway - I went over to my new favourite place within Phi Phi - D's Books.  It's a used book store/american coffee house/wifi hub.  They play jazz all day - its wonderful.  I ordered one my life's indulgunces, a vanilla latte (I figured I'd skip the "skinny" vanilla latte since the baristas dont speak a word of english, nor do any of the locals here in Phi Phi) along wih a bowl of vanilla yogurt mixed with fresh fruit and granola.  Mmmmm.  Just talking about it makes me want to eat another one.
Long Beach, Phi Phi
  While there I noticed 2 guys and 2 girls, one of which had the exact same bag as me.  Since it was from Moutain Equipment Co-op, I figured I had found another Canadian.  Turns out the girls were Canadian and the boys from London - England.  Really really nice folk.  The one girl was catching her flight back to Jasper later that day but the rest were to continue travelling.  They told me that if I were to take a 30 minute walk in a certain direction, I would hit a beautiful beach on Phi Phi called "Long Beach" and said it was well worth the walk.  I wait for the wind to take me whereever I am supposed to go and I felt a breeze so I decided to go.  Through small sand patches and paths through forest, I made my way to Long Beach.
The Sun Set from Long Beach
  In the bushes I found a lady from Denmark and she helped me find my way as she was heading there as well.  Finally I arrived and it really was gorgeous.  I mean everything here is gorgeous.  I don't want you to think that I am loosely using the word and for it to loose meaning.  How's this: beauteous?  Lets use that word for now.  I walked from one end to the other finally finding my perfect spot.  What's nice about Long Beach, is,  like other beaches, it gets deep quite quickly.  The other beach I have been going to is really shallow for what seems like forever.  In fact, on the other beach, I was never in water deeper than my thighs.  Finally I was able to swim at the beach.  Sitting next to me were a crew of 4 from Sydney.
The Sun Set from Long Beach
  3 girls, 1 guy, all, shall we say, don't eat bacon? I hung out with them until they left, and then found my way into a conversation with two girls from Sweeden.  Andrea and I chatted for at least an hour in the water.  I love the Sweeden accent.  I remember hooking up with a Sweede in Europe and loving it then too.  They sound like robots.  Its really funny.  After they left, I just hung out on the beach waiting for the sun to change the sky from its bright blue shade to one of light, creamsicle style orange.  I then remembered that I had brought a cigar to the beach.  I brought three from Vancouver which I had from Hopscotch.  Im sure the other 2 will make an appearance in the blog soon enough.  It was the best cigar I had ever had.  Ahh, The serenity I had at the moment I smoked it.  Bliss.  Note, the bliss was from the moment, not from the cigar, not sure if that needed to be clarified.  From then, I went back to town as I wanted to shower and get ready for dinner.  I stopped off at my neighbuorhood fruit stand.  I tried this one fruit a few days ago and couldnt find it since and I knew a new batch was coming in from Phuket so I was very excited.  I am not sure what it is called but it must be a close relative to the dragon fruit (white, black seeds, flavourless) but is different (deep purple/pink, black seeds, delicious!).  I went home, showered, read my book, which I now know is called "A Prisoner Of Birth" by Jeffrey Archer, and then eventually made my way out to dinner.  I wanted seafood.  Something light and tasty.  I went to the side of the island where the pier is, as I knew that there were a lot of seafood restaurants there.  Its pretty cool - fish sit on tables of ice, staring into the starry sky, waiting to fullfill their destiny.  Its like a beauty contest.  The hungry peruse the table, looking for a contestant that peeks their interest and then pick the winner. They weigh the fish, ask how you want it cooked, and bring it to your table.  There were so many choices, from baracuda to slamon to tuna, to lobster to prawns, to crab to so many more.  I struggled between baracuda and Red Snapper but finally decided on the latter.  BBQed, buttered, no garlic (foresight), with a baked potato.  SO good.  After dinner, I went to The Reggae Bar where I found my London friends, as well as another crew I've been hanging out with from Northern England.  Two buckets of Redbull Vodka later, the night was on.  I lost 150Baht in boxing bets that night but it was well worth it as it made the fights way more exciting.   Somehow 4am appeared and I knew it was time to go to bed.  Good times, Good times.

Gagmel says:
Ads - what an amazing beach - just love the photo's. Thanks for all the sharing you are doing - its brings the sights and sounds so much closer to home. You are really in the zone right now - keep smelling the roses and keep the words flowing....Mel
Posted on: Dec 17, 2009