Masssssssssssage?

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Our Living Room
Today was day 2 of our trek through the Northern Mountains of Chang Mai.  For some reason I was the last to fall asleep and yet the first to wake.  Our wake up was to be around ten yet I awoke at 8.  With no one up yet, I built a fire and just enjoyed the silence, along with some guitar playing.  Eventually everyone awoke and we made our way down the mountain. I should put here that there was another guy in our group named Dennis.  He joined us late and didn't add to much to my trip but was a nice guy and I do want to remember him in ten years when I read this as he was kind of funny. After going through my iPod filled with Floyd, Zepplin, Kings of Leon, Radiohead, Dave Matthews, Marvin Gaye, and other amazing artists, he asked if I had Oasis, Nickleback, or Avril Lavigne, and that in itself gives him mention in my blog.
Some Villagers, pee wee
 The trek down was just as hard as the trek up but for different reasons.  Down was much steeper and much more dangerous as sometimes you picked up speed and just couldn't stop.  I was in my Teva sandals which were horrible.  I had sneakers but after more than 35 days in nothing but sandals and barefoot, the thought of putting on my sneakers didn't appeal to me at all.  We made our way to another waterfall and this time I decided to jump in,  it was ice cold but so refreshing.  I found a bamboo walking stick and thus used it as my staff for the remainder of my descent.  Eventually we arrived at the white water rafting hut that was apart of our tour.  We got in and rafted our way down.  It's a serious exaggeration to call this river white but just being on a boat on the water was amazing.
New type of sunset
 After the rafting, we got onto bamboo rafts and continued floating down stream.  The bamboo rafting was way more fun as there was too many of us on the raft and it constantly sank pushing all of us in the water.  Once were done the rafting, we had a quick bite of Pad Thai and made our way back to Chang Mai.  We dropped of the three englishites (I know, not a word) at an elephant sanctuary as they still had another day on their tour.  Once we returned to our hotel, we caught up with Helma and headed straight to a massage parlour.  I got a two hour massage, 1 hour of regular oil full body and 1 hour of legs and feet.  $15 for two hours.  I mean how could you not.   I had my first male masseuse ever and I have to be honest, best massage so far.
My girls with Yo, our tour guide
 It was funny as the first person I had ever met named Yo was our trekking tour guide whereas my second was my masseuse the next day.  Afterwards I was totally spent but it was Sunday and Chang Mai has a huge Sunday market and thus we made our way there.  The four of us must have looked totally deshevled as we had just trekked for two days, had 2 hour massages, were unshowered and totally exhausted.  Afterwards we grabbed some food and went back to the hotel to eat it there.  Karin told me she played the violin for 17 years but stopped some years ago.  I played her Boyd Tinsley's violen solofromthe song Lie in our Graves, by the Dave Matthews Band.  It is a powerful piece of music to anyone who listens but to Karin, a veteran of the Violan, I think she almost cried.  She told me the next day that because of it, she was going to start playing again, which gave me the most amazing feeling.  Go on YouTube and search Lie In our Graves and enjoy it.  Do it.  Trust me.  We then went to bed.
Village celebration