Finally in Asia

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Our entire group before we leftthe village
Today Helma went for a Visa run to Myanmar.  When you come to Thailand, you get a 30 day tourist visa unless you go to the embassy before hand and apply for a longer one.  Her 30 day visa expired so she had to go on oneof these organized excursions called visa runs which take you to the nearest border to leave Thailand and re-enter, warranting you a 15 day visa.  So with Helma gone for the day, I awoke late, about 12:30, clearly catching up on the sleep my body needed.  The other two took me up on my idea from the day before that we should find a nice hotel, pay a fee, and use their pool and ammenities.  When I caught myself in the mirror before I went to their room that morning, I didn't recognize myself.  I had a full beard and a bush of hair on my head.
Karin and Cyn at Waterfall #2
 Not only was I cave man esque, I looked ten years older than my actual age.  Instead of joining them, I hit the streets in search of three things I needed: new flip flops, a hair cut, and a hair trimmer for my face as I hate shaving and like keeping a scruff.  After some intensive research, it became clear that I would never find the trimmer near my place and thus jumped in a tuk-tuk and headed to some market that was recomended as the place to get it.  What a nice surprise.  After 4.5 weeks in tourist crowded Asia, I finally felt like I was in real Asia.  The smell of Chinatown roared while I walked through the market, me being the only non-Asian there.  No one spoke English and no one cared to.  I was looking for this environtment for a month and I was very excited that I found it.
  I bought a hair trimmer, flip flops (for 2 dollars), and got a hair cut.  It seems simple enough but it took about 9 salons for me to have enough courage to walk through the door of one.  One of longest challenges I have had in my life has been my hair.  Curly and thick, it presents many a challenges.  My wondeful Denise is the only one who cuts it.  It was bad enough getting it cut by someone other than her but the girl didn't speak a word of English.  It was finally done and I give it a 7/10, but it will do. It has to.  I couldn't bare the long hair in this heat anymore.  When I returned home, I shaved, relaxed, hung out with Helma who had a great trip and then got ready for my Pizza Hut date with Lady Olivia.
 She came by my hotel and we went from there.  We had such a great time.  She is too cute for words, so smart and witty, and just fun to be with.  City suitable no doubt.  After dinner we walked hand in hand through the night market and then eventually to Reggae Bar where my girls were, as were hers.  There was also two guys with them who they had met sometime ago in Phi Phi of which one was having a romance with one of her friends.  From there we jumped in two tuk tums and headed to a night club.  Again, real Asia, with only Thai localsand it was lots of fun.  We sipped our drinks, danced under the stars, walked in the massive water fountain, and then turned in.  I love this trip.
Our entire group before we leftthe…
Our entire group before we leftth…
Yo, my tour guide, and I