KL, Genting, and More!

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

A view of Bintang at night

Taking the 11PM trip for a coach bus at Beach Road in Singapore, we were off to Kuala Lumpur. When I was in Singapore a few months back, we wanted to drive down to KL but was not able to do so because of time constraints. So this time, notwithstanding the fact that it would be a short visit, we still wanted to take a glimpse of Malaysia. It was a 5-hour trip, with very comfortable and roomy seats. Arriving at KL at around 4AM, we took a cab to our hotel at Bintang.

Hotel Agora, situated near Chinatown and the heart of Bintang was not really my best choice of a hotel. The faded carpet had seen better days, as well as the musty room and motel-like facilities. Oh well, for a 18-hour stay in KL, I could not complain.

exploring the Jalans
Still, the place gave me the shivers especially with the seeming gloomy feel of the corridors. True enough, at 6AM, I was awakened by sounds, knobs being turned, doors being “closed and opened”, and footsteps seemingly just below the foot of our beds! I knew there was “someone” or “something” in the room with me and Juancho but I could not turn my head or my whole body. I seemed to be paralyzed from waist down. The immobility lasted for about 10 minutes and finally, I was able to kick myself to turn and saw the nothingness. But I knew there was a presence just a few minutes ago.

I was relieved to wake up to a sunny day. Taking a look from our 4th floor room, we took in the hustle and bustle of downtown Bintang. We had breakfast at a nearby McDonalds and walked towards the KL Convention Center with the intent of checking out the Petronas Twin Towers.

Aquaria at Petronas
The walk was uneventful through malls and more malls. The towers were majestic and impressive.

We negotiated with a taxi driver to bring us to Genting Highlands. For 80RM, we arrived Genting after 45minutes and went straight to First World Hotel. My friend, Juancho wanted to try his luck at the tables and settled in to play baccarat. After gambling away his Php 8,000, I steered him away from the tables and brought him to the rides. We were not for extreme activities so we settled for a tour of the place, the Beryl's Chocolate Factory and some car racing experience which was just fine and relaxing. I loved the weather at Genting, chilly and cool which made the walk around the theme park pleasant. And oh yeah, we took the cable car! It was the longest I have taken so far and the scariest that is.

Going down the Genting mountain is not good for a full stomach I tell you. Still, it was an experience!

Back to KL, we explored the neighboring Chinatown and sampled the Yangchow rice, sauteed shrimps, sweet and sour pork and kangkong with chili bits. I loved bargaining with the vendors in the various shops and got away with 4 handwoven shawls from some Pakistani gentlemen, Petronas magnetic openers and some displays as souvenirs.

Finally, it was time to check out of the hotel and head to the airport to make it to our 1AM flight. Honestly, I was glad to get out of the hotel. I have never been so disoriented and unwanted in a place as that hotel. Negotiating with a taxi, we asked to be brought to the airport.

Unknown to us, there are 3 airports in Malaysia: KLIA, LCC and the cargo terminal. We were supposed to board our Cebu Pacific flight for Manila at LCC but of course, we did not know this. We were brought by the cab driver to KLIA...a huge mistake. Seeing that there was no Manila flight, we inquired with the Information Desk and was told that we should be at the LCC terminal if we are to board the Cebu Pacific flight. With barely 10 minutes before closing of check in, I prayed for a cab in the almost deserted airport. Barely 3minutes,a hotel limo stopped in front of us dropping off a guest. I accosted the driver and asked that we be brought to LCC for 15 S$. Arriving at LCC in 10minutes with the driver taking a short cut, we made it in time for check in. I did not know that the airports are far from the city, taking more than an hour's travel! Gosh!

It was a stressful departure from KL. Lessons learned: know where the exact locations of the airport, and never never assume that it is the only one! Hahaha!

too much candy!
too much candy!
waiting for my gondola
waiting for my gondola
paris in genting?
paris in genting?
peking ducks? or just chicken?
peking ducks? or just chicken?
the rooftop of Petronas