Jacksonville Navy Blue Angels Airshow

Jacksonville Beach Travel Blog

First glance at Jax beach
My friend and fellow traveler Marike is a huge fan of planes, military planes. So she had her heart and hope set on seeing an air show while we were in the States.

We were lucky to be able to pick from two air shows that were held while we were in Florida. One of the two would have been in Homestead on the 7th or 8th and this one being in Jacksonville.

We picked the Jacksonville one, because it allowed us to visit our her good friends and now my good friends, Steph and Erik in Georgia.

So an a beautiful Sunday morning we headed to Jax beach to watch the airshow. We verified ahead of time by phone at what time the US Navy Blue Angels  were flying their rounds.
More info about the Blue Angels also here.

We parked near Jax beach in a residential area, because we didn't want to pay $20 for park and ride.

We ended up being a bit far away from where the show was going down,  so we enjoyed a nice walk on the beautiful beach with the waves rolling in. People sitting out in lawn chairs with coolers and kids playing in the sand.

One of those kids collected a lot of pretty see shells. ;)

The show of the Navy Blue Angels started with their big "C-130 Hercules" or lovingly named "Fat Albert" flying over the Atlantic ocean close to the beach. Erik got a few awesome pictures of that, you'll see.

Afterwards the F/A-18s started making their rounds and crazy maneuvers. There's a bunch of pictures of those. I "only" uploaded 50 of them, but trust me, there are a LOT more of them.
haha

Enjoy and catch an air show if there's one in your area. It's not just for die hard fans.

Traffic getting away from the beach area was horrible after the show was over. There were some "VIP" guest that were escorted from the beach by a police convoy, just to make things worse for everyone else. To this day I don't know who was so darn important. ;)

We went to St. Marys, George for dinner that night. Unfortunately it was already too dark by the time we got there. It would have been nice to see Cumberland island from there.

We stayed a couple more days in Hinesville, Georgia with our friends and then drove back to my sister-in-law's, the day before we had to head back to Orlando to catch our plane back to Germany.

missandrea81 says:
Thanks, and you're welcome. It was an adventure. :) I really enjoy Florida.
vances says:
Great adventure, thanks for sharing!
Glynnes says:
Hi Andrea, Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Blog.
Marike and I at Jax beach