The Sun Chasers and Light Painting Show

belitung island Travel Blog

What a jump!
We woke up at 3:00 AM and got ready to chase the sunrise at Manggar beach which was a-2 hour drive from Tanjung Kelayang beach. Exactly at 4:00 AM where everything was still dark, we left our place and made our way to Manggar beach. Being a sleepy head, I continued my sleep in the car.

We arrived just in time to catch beautiful sunrise. We were ready with our cameras to capture this phenomenal sunrise. Then I realized for some reasons my camera was D.E.A.D. Yes, how annoying that would be to find out your camera is D.E.A.D in one of exotic islands in the world??

I was at the highest point of my frustration but decided to have a good attitude to handle this situation. Instead of taking pictures, I voluntarily offered myself to be Gildas’s silhouette model. Jumping around was written on my job description. So, that’s what I did almost the whole morning until I got muscles sore :P

Luckily, Gildas just realized that he has another extra camera that he didn’t use and let me use his camera. I was the happiest human being on earth right that minute. He really made my day! From Manggar beach we drove around in some other shooting locations of Laskar Pelangi movie like the market, the tin factory and the school and ended up at another amazing beach called Tanjung Punay.

Tanjung Punay
The similar view was found on this beach - white beach, crystal clear water and huge granite stones. The beach was totally quite, so we spent an hour to spend time enjoying the beach.

We headed back after finished goofing off in Tanjung Punay beach. Before reaching the resort, we stopped by at Kaolin Lake that is located in Tanjung Pandan area. Though it was not a natural lake, it was still beautiful. The color of the water is dazzling greenish.

Got back to our resort feeling exhausted, some of us decided to take some rest. But Gildas, Siska and I continued exploring Tanjung Kelayang beach. We went around the beach taking some pictures until the rain started. Another torrential rain, but didn’t last for long.

After the sky cleared out, we went to Tanjung Tinggi beach (again) to have our lunch. Luckily, the beach was quieter than yesterday, so we could get some great angles for taking pictures. We were challenged to go to the top of the huge granite stone to get better picture. To go up there was a quite tormenting process. I have almost given up, but decided to go up with the help of two kind local boys. At the end, only Gildas, Siska and I made it to the top. Though I almost wet my pants when I reached the top, I glad I made it. The view was breathtaking and unbelievable. Taking pictures from the top was a pleasure. Went down was even harder then going up. But I survived without any major injuries :D

We went back to our resort to soak up the sun on the beach and swim.

Kaolin Lake
There were some European couples and families having their vacation on Belitung staying at the same resort with us. After swimming, we went to a beach nearby to take some sunset pictures.

We were happy to call ourselves the SUN chasers because we were the only busy people on the island trying to catch the sunrise and sunset the whole day.

But it was worth all the effort because we caught remarkable sunset in the beautiful island of Belitung.

Our snack adventure continued that night. This time we tried to be wiser in choosing our snack. So we went to a local restaurant that sold fish cake (local name: Pempek). It was another scrumptious snack we ate in the island. I didn’t hesitate to ruin my diet program and decided to get second helpings :D

Such a long day we had. We went back to the resort, grabbed some drinks and having a relaxing time talking on the beach while enjoying the sounds of the waves and beautiful stars in the sky.

Out of the blue, the crazy idea of light painting crossed in Gildas’s mind. He took his camera and briefed me how to do the “show”. Siska played the role as the Art DICTATOR, Gildas played the role as the Cameraman, Savitry played the role as the Advisor and me as the Light Painter. It took awhile for me to get things done perfectly. After thousand attempts, I finally made it and actually enjoyed it! We created lots of cool things :)

After the light painting show is over, we finally called it a day..

cneoridium says:
The dictating worked, those light paintings came out really well! Usually they turn out just a squiggle of lines that sort of half way looks like a word : )
Posted on: Apr 26, 2010
Koralifix says:
Super nice entry, Rini! Totally enjoyed your write-up and these fab photos!
Posted on: Jan 15, 2010
_Jarno_ says:
@Asri, hmmz let me think about that :-) I'll give it away for a 1.000.000 rp =)
Posted on: Dec 04, 2009
Sunset
A beautiful lady of Belitung :)
A beautiful lady of Belitung :)
Tanjung Punay
With my best travbuddy!!!
With my best travbuddy!!!
Siska and Gildas
Siska and Gildas
Gildas and I
Gildas and I
hmm..my siganture photo :D
hmm..my siganture photo :D
Tanjung Tinggi
Going down from the top..
Going down from the top..
belitung island