Legkuas Island

belitung island Travel Blog

Anyone who comes to Belitung is not recommended to leave the island without visiting Lengkuas Island. This beautiful island is located on the off shore of Tanjung Kelayang beach. At least, it takes a-30 minute boat ride from Tanjung Kelayang to reach the island in normal condition. What makes this island prominent is a-18 storey old lighthouse that was built in 1882 by the Netherlands. The lighthouse is still well-operated until now.

The weather had been unfriendly with us to reach this beautiful island for the past 2 days. So we decided to go there on our last day. We left Tanjung Kelayang at 6:00 AM. We are early birds, aren’t we? The ocean wasn’t that cooperative with us that morning. On the way there was very choppy that made our small boat was about to kept size many times. However, the view presented overcame our fear.

Beautiful granite stones are scattered around in an open ocean. Blue-greenish water added its beauty and the view of a white sandy island with a giant lighthouse entertained our eyes.

We walked around and explored the island once we got there. It was just so unbelievable to be there. Everything seemed flawless. We then went up to the top of the lighthouse. It was exhausting to get there. Imagine how many stairs we need to climb up? And once we got there, I was afraid to death! Didn’t realize that it would be sooo freaking high! It took me awhile to be brave and walked around the observation deck. I don’t have to tell you how beautiful the view is from the top. The pictures I took say it better in so many ways.

After tired of taking pictures, we went down and just chilling out on the beach enjoying the sun and playing around the beach. It was hard to leave this beautiful island. Each of one of us was trying to find a valid reason why do we need to go back to dull Jakarta..

We left the island and headed back to Tanjung Kelayang. We enjoyed this beautiful island until it became really small and finally couldn’t see it anymore.

As soon as we arrived, we packed our bags again and made our way to the airport to catch our flight to Jakarta.

If people asked my impression of Belitung Island, I would just say, “I have to go back” and I really mean it..

Stevie_Wes says:
Well I've thoroughly enjoyed my first literary adventure into Rini's World and hope to return there soon. Belitung does look and sound a rather idyllic destination so I shall have to add it to my list of places to catch when next I return to gorgeous Indonesia. Bedtime now and time to dream of travel... zzzzzz
Posted on: Aug 26, 2010