Beach hopping and stroke competition

belitung island Travel Blog

Tanjung Pendam beach

Our driver, Pak Cecep was waiting for us at the arrival area. He was a nice and talkative guy who has full knowledge about the island. Pak Cecep was involved in the making of the LASKAR PELANGI movie, so he had loads of story to tell us during our trip. However, judging from the way he drives, he really is a man who can’t drive slowly and thinks that brake does not exist. I’m so thankful that we all were totally safe during our stay there. Hahaha!

As soon as we left the airport area, we headed to Tanjung Pendam beach. This beach is known as the best beach to catch sunset. We found some little kiddos who were playing on the beach. They were happy when we said hi and took their pictures. These kiddos were so gorgeously cute and innocent.

From Tanjung Pendam beach we planned to go to the hotel.

Belitiung Kids (including me)
But the plan was easily changed. Pak Cecep took us to the high place named Tanjung Binga beach. We could see almost half of the island from there. Taking pictures was a pleasure thing to do there because we could take some beach pictures from the top of the hill. There were stairs to go down to get access to the beach. So we decided to go down and take more pictures. It was surreal to be there.

Our tummy was crying out loud from hungriness, so we asked Pak Cecep to take us to a nice restaurant near the beach. He took us to the famous Tanjung Tinggi beach, the shooting location of Laskar Pelangi. The beach was stunning with white beach, crystal clear water and huge stones decorated the beach. My jaws dropped!

Unfortunately, the black clouds started to cover the perfect blue sky. We then went to the restaurant to enjoy our late lunch.

Tanjung Binga beach
While we were waiting for the food, the rain started pouring cats and dogs and elephants and tigers (feel free to add another animal names..)

But the rain didn’t make us lose our appetite. When the food came, we finished them all just in a short amount of time. The seafood served were the most fresh and scrumptious seafood I’ve ever tasted after Palau.

After lunch we finally headed to Tanjung Kelayang Resort, the place where we would stay. Tanjung Kelayang beach surprised me again! A soft white sandy beach welcomed us with a line of coconut trees and big stones ornamented the beach. Not too far in the middle of the ocean, stand stones forming a bird shape and it called Bird Island.

Too excited, we only checked in and put our bags.

Tanjung Tinggi beach
Right after that we headed to a waterfall area which I couldn’t recall the name. Let’s blame my small brain. The road to go there was small and narrow. But the view along the way was breathtaking. When we almost arrived in the waterfall area, there was a big tree fell off and blocked the road so we continued our way on foot. The waterfall itself wasn’t big but still adorable.

We spent some times there until we realized it was almost dark. When we walked back to the car, we found out that the sky cleared out and the sun was setting somewhere down which was so freaking far away from where we were. We almost killed ourselves for missing the nice sunset. But it didn’t spoil our mood because we know that the next day we will catch another dazzling sunset.

Still full with all the seafood we ate on our late lunch, we decided to get a local HEAVY snack that quite filling called Hallok Pong.

It’s a thick and greasy pancake combined with loads of cheese and chocolate. Some people would think this kind of snack is disgusting. But you might change your mind until you eat one. It was SCRUMPTIOUS and you might get stroke when you eat too much.

Why? Because it’s so oily and fatty! Imagine the butter, milk and cheese..

Though we know this snack is unhealthy, we just couldn't stop eating them! I think I was the one who ate the most! I think I was the winner of this Stroke Competition, wasn't I peeps? Hahaha..So, do not hesitate to try one when you are in the area!! Forget about your diet :D

We finally headed home. I went to bed with big poking out tummy full of halok pong..

Stevie_Wes says:
So not ONLY do you have two asses but two "jaws" now too?!! Darn, I swear she looked a lot more normal when I met her in Jakarta ;) For an animal to add to your funny list of raining zoo-inhabitants I choose an Aardvark as it's cute and weird and the first word in the English dictionary. Halok Pong sounds yum - I think I may have had something similar in Indo.
Posted on: Aug 26, 2010
row-zzzzz says:
Yummy, important calories you've taken in ... it's part of the Canada Food Guide lol, I wish!
Posted on: Jul 19, 2010
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured, Rini! Absolutely well-deserved!
Posted on: Dec 04, 2009