Why Belitung?

Jakarta Travel Blog

Movie Cover

Belitung was forgotten and not a famous tourist destination before. However, everything changed after a book titled “LASKAR PELANGI” (The Rainbow Troops) was published in 2005. It didn’t take too long to make this non-fiction book became best seller in the nation. It deserved to be one because it was beautifully written by a Belitung boy named Andre Hirata based on his childhood life.

The story is about 10 unfortunate kids plus 2 teachers who were trying to keep up their faith and spirit in order to get a good education. The challenges faced by the children and teachers in the story are a fine inspiration for everyone.  A strong message was delivered that “Everyone deserves to better their lives through education”.

In early 2009, the movie “LASKAR PELANGI” was released and similar with the book, the movie was also a hit and became the most watched Indonesian movie ever. I was one of the peeps who stood in line for hours just to buy the movie ticket. But it was worth the effort. The movie was AMAZING.

The movie not only showed the great story with cool characters but also showed how beautiful Belitung is. It blew my mind.

Soon after I walked out from the movie theatre, I didn’t have any hesitation to put Belitung as one of my dream destinations.

So, why Belitung?

Because it’s one of Indonesia’s beautiful places and I wanted to enjoy it before it gets spoiled.

maaroufhoteit75 says:
I'm thinking of going to Bali, is this place better?
Posted on: May 15, 2014
Stevie_Wes says:
Enticing introduction to my first ever adventure into a Rini-blog. You REALLY had to queue for a ticket to the movie?! Man that's cool!
Posted on: Aug 26, 2010