Day 6: Need a London Tourguide?

London Travel Blog

This morning, I wake up early early early because this day, it’s just my grandma and I and she for sure won’t let me sleep in. We ate breakfast in our hotel and we were ready and out around 9:30 or 10. (Danny and I never really left before 11 and once day we even left at 5pm!) The tourist has become the tour guide because Danny and I explored just about the entire city of London and now I have to show my grandma the ropes of this magnificent city. My grandma, who has the absolute worst sense of direction, hadn’t seen much of the city so today I planned a trip to Tower Hill because she wanted to see the Tower of London and also near the Tower Hill station is London’s famous Tower Bridge. The Tower of London was well, interesting. There wasn’t really anything there. The Crown Jewels of England were pretty sweet but other than that, it was just an old fort with a strange high population of ravens. People say that, “The day the ravens leave the Tower, is the day England ceases to exist.” Also at the Tower were the famous Beefeaters, which were the guards and also a good brand of Gin here in England, a little expensive, around £11 or £12. From there, we hopped on the Tube and went to the Blackfriar’s station and we went across the Millennium footbridge (the bridge Danny and I took our first day together, to get to the Tate Modern) and we walked along the river and saw Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre but we didn’t go in. From there we headed back towards inner city and towards Buckingham Palace because the day before my grandma missed the Royal Mews because it was closed and when we made it there, we discovered that we missed it by a 20 minutes. Don’t ask me what they are, I couldn’t really guess because you can’t see anything over the high walls of HM estate. We ate a light dinner at a German restaurant, Mövenpick. I had quite a delicious chicken and pesto panini with some dank Sprudel, which is German for water with bubbles. We head back to the hotel and my grandma picks up her book and is glued to it so I leave to go out for another hour or so since it was only 6 or so. I take the Piccadilly to the Bakerloo and get off at Charring Cross. I leave the station and I find myself standing directly in the famous Trafalgar Square. Trafalgar was quite a sight to see. There were many good photos and the massive pillar with Lord Nelson perched on the top was astounding. Trafalgar is also the square with those famous giant black lions guarding the base of the pillar. I walk around a little more then head back via the tube and make a stop at Sainsbury’s for some bagels but I discover that London’s 24hr grocery store is open 24 hours everyday except Sunday when it closes at 5! Can you believe that? From there, I go back to the hotel and just enjoy a lazy night, watching CSI and the Apprentice: London. Is this how the rest of my trip is going to be? I discovered this night that for a young person to really enjoy a trip to Europe, you must stay in hostel either by yourself or go with a friend. I’m pretty sure that, like Danny that I’m going to go on a 3 month backpacking trip after I graduate as well.
London