Day 3: Get Maximal

London Travel Blog

St. Pauls Cathedrel.
I wake around 9am and my grandma and I head down for a "Traditional English Breakfast" in our hotel. This consists of eggs (scrambled and poached), sausage (chicken and pork), bacon, ham, mushrooms, tomatos, hasbrowns, fresh fruit, pastries, jucie, coffee and of course Tea. After breakfast, I got back to the room and call a mysterious London phone number belonging to a mysterious Mikey whom I've never met only to get a hold of a student, excuse me, an alumni from Boise State who arrived in London on the same day as I did, also whom I've never met. I get in touch with Danny and we decide for me to meet him and Mikey at his hostel near the Swiss Cottage Tube station. Unbeknownst to me, the Swiss Cottage Tube station has over 5 exits! I wander out of one of the exits and wander vicariously around an area of N.
Everyone, this is Adam Deeprose.
London only to hear the voice of a man yelling "Alex!" who turns out to be the Mikey that I was looking for. He said that I looked like a lost traveller. Psssah, I knew exactly where I was going.....not. Mikey and I head to the hostel where he and Danny stayed at. Mikey is a fraternity brother of Danny from Seattle. The 3 of us head out to Holland Park where Danny's second hostel is located. By Holland Park, the time to say bye to Mikey has come. He had already been in London and today was his last day; he is off to Leeds. Danny and I check in and drop his backpack off at his hostel and we head out. Our first stop, the Tate Modern. The Tate Modern is a huge converted power station and it is fillied with, well, it's filled with "stuff." I'm sure they're amazing to somebody but a lot of that art was well, let's just say that I could've painted half the stuff in there. I was delighted to see a few artists that I knew from my Art class such as Jackson Polluck, Picasso, even that painting with the vertical and horizontal lines and the 3 squares of red, yellow, and blue. C'mon, I know everyone has seen this painting. After the Tate Modern, Danny and I headed back across the Millenium Footbridge and towards a big dome. This dome turned out to be St. Paul's Catherdrel. We entered the Cathedral and walked around only to discover that we were interupting communion....whoops! We do some more sightseeing and end up near Piccadilly Circus to explore the Soho area where Danny and Mikey spent the evening last night. The West End bar scene was quite "touristy" and we found a place called The Golden Lion and we had a pint there. We decided, this wasn't for us, so we asked around. We went into an H&M store located on Oxford Circus and talked to a worker named Eva who was really nice and pointed us in the direction of Shoreditch and E. London. From there, we took the tube to Aldgate East and headed towards Bishop's Gate, no Danny not Belguim Waffle, Bishop's Gate haha. After wandering around the area of Shoreditch we met these two Brits named Emma and her friend Phil who were promoting a club/bar in Shoreditch called the Medicine Bar. The £5 cover charged turned us away but the £1.50 drinks brought us in! They gave us a four of clubs card, which was the signal for the £1.50 drinks, and we were off to try and find this place. Finding it took quite some time and we had to ask quite a few people. We even had to go buy some more alcohol to keep te buzz going before we found the damn place. We finally find it and we went on inside. The upstairs was a regular bar while the downstairs was the club scene. It was Danny and I together at the bar just talking until Emma, the girl who invited us, came up from behind me and greeted us. She invited us over to sit with her friends where Danny and I met one of the nicest people in London, Adam Deeprose. This guy was so nice that he even offered Danny and I cocaine in the bathroom hahaha....no wonder these people stay out so late. What Emma was promoting was her friend Matt Thompson who is a DJ and the Get Maximal event hosted at the Medicine Bar. It was a real fun time and Danny and I discovered, DON'T order mix drinks becuase a shot of liquor here is like half that, if that even, of a shot in America. The vodka sevens, excuse me, the vodka lemonades (Lemonade here is actually like Sprite, but less sweeter) tasted just like Sprite and had little to no alcohol so we just stuck to Stella Artois the night. We even took shots with the not so friendly Asian bartender, she wasn't feeling us. "Dude, is that girl in blue pregnant?" haha, sorry inside joke. We stayed for quite some time until we left and went to a store and Danny brought himself another entire bottle of wine and I bought just two Fosters. We drank those and headed back. Danny, Adam, and I talked the whole night and it was a real fun time. We didn't get back to my hotel until 4:30am!!! God only knows how we made it back since the tube closes at midnight and we had to take buses which is quite difficult when you're this drunk and don't know the London bus system. We ended up just walking along Hyde Park becuase I knew that it leads straight to a cross road for my hotel. Danny decided to just crash on my floor. But before going to the hotel, we decide to walk down to Sainsbury's, a grocery store only 3 or 4 blocks west of my hotel, why? I really don't know why we went haha. Before we get there, Danny has a brilliant plan and we head into the Holiday Inn and says to the front deskman, "Can we get a call girl?" The front deskman was on the phone calling one up in seconds, WOW! haha. We tell him we'll wait outside and then we just keep going on our journey to Sainsbury's. We go in, get nothing, and go out to meet these 2 Italian girls who we have dubbed the "Italian Hookers" becuase honestly, what were they doing up so late...sightseeing? Becuase neither were intoxicated. Their names were Isabella, which I remember becuase I have a cousin in France with the same name, but hell if I know what the other girl's name was. I think it started with a K, mabe? We talked to them awhile while the one, who didn't speak a lick of English, kept shoving her bag of chips in our faces which we gladly accepted. We get back to my hotel around 4:30am and my grandma woke up because we weren't exactly quite. I say "Omi, this is my friend Danny," and by the time I point to Danny, he is already on the floor asleep. I then too go to bed. What a night!
London