Day 16: Not Alone

Heidelberg Travel Blog

We leave early from Senne Hotel with no plan other than driving south. We drive for about an hour then pull off for a quick snack and to have a look at the map to see if there is anything to see. We decide on Worms to get some ‘culture.’ We get to Worms and go the center and well, Worms is nothing but an old Dom (big church) and a nice little shopping street. Nothing worth going in except an H&M. After Worms we decide to just head to Heidelberg to stay the night since it is only another 20 minutes southwest of Worms. We enter Heidelberg and drive around looking for a hotel and Jutta and I are ein bisschen hungrig so we decide to investigate these “McCafés” that are springing up all over Germany. This was the NICEST McDonald’s I’ve ever seen. They had a fully functional bakery with amazing cakes (my grandma had some Apfelküchen). The menu was the same but this McDonald’s was complete with modern furniture in all leather and was set up so nice and I’m glad to say that this was my first time at a McDonald’s on my entire trip. I tried to stay away but I really wanted to see these “high-class” McDonald’s.
After McCafé, we headed a bit of the city and found a Holiday Inn and we decided to stay there. We got in our room and just called it a day. Around 6 or 7, Jutta and I went down to the lobby for some food but both of the restaurants were reserved for some big banquet but the bar was open and it had the same food so we went in there. I got a “Giant Burger” and this thing was the size of a small plate! It was HUGE! I started with a Tom Collin’s and it was pretty strong. The bartender put quite a bit of gin in it. As we sat in the bar, more and more people started to show up from the banquets and turns out that they were ALL American! It was some Army banquet that was going on and everyone in the bar was American. When we left, there were about 4 Germans and 30 Americans in that bar. It was kind of nice to hear some English being spoken. After my Tom Collins, in the spirit of Happy Hour, I got two Weizenbier, which can’t be served in anything smaller than a 0,5L glass and I had two! I was pretty drunk by the time we left and my aunt had quite a few and she was feeling something too. It was a nice night. We got back to the room and I spent about 3 hours on the Internet, which was nice. Tomorrow we’re going into the city but I’ve already been so we just planned on a lazy day walking through the city.

Heidelberg