Day 12: DFB Pokal

Berlin Travel Blog

If I thought 11:30am was early to start drinking like in England the morning of the FA Cup, you wouldn’t believe that Germans start drinking at 9am for the DFB Pokal match! This is the biggest game in Germany. It was Stuttgart vs. Nürnberg this year. We sat down for breakfast and ordered the usual German breakfast and the place was so crowded with people in red and white for Stuttgart and they were all ordering drinks and full on meals like Eisbein, which is a giant leg of pork. We decided to head to the outskirts of Berlin for an outlet mall in Würstermark. It turned out to be a flop but it did have some nice stores like Puma but there was really nothing there. After the outlet mall, we headed back to the Ku’damm where I wanted to make a few stops like the Diesel store and a Zara to pick my brother up some clothes, and myself that is. Before shopping we went to a Hard Rock Café for lunch and it was damn good. It was funny, I looked over at the table next to me and it was 4 Stuttgart fans but one was passed out asleep in his chair, I guess he started to early. While at Zara, I found some shirts and then I spotted a pair of shoes, which were on sale, and now if you ever need somebody to go make a cocaine deal with the Italian mafia, then I’m your man. They’re some official Italian mafia shoes haha. The streets were PACKED with fans. Nürenbergers stayed to one side and the Stuttgarters stayed to the other, it was quite strange. A certain sports bar on the Stuttgart side of the Ku’damm was full of fans and they were all singing Stuttgart songs and they practically enveloped the entire sidewalk. I really wanted to join in but I probably would’ve stuck out like a sore thumb even though my roots come from Stuttgart. After Zara and a few other stores, we ran into “The Story of Berlin” museum and since the weather looked how it did right before the giant storm yesterday, we went on inside. The museum was actually quite interesting and it was very modern. The museum was very well put together and made it very interesting. We even went down into an old bunker under the Ku’damm. When we got outside, we witnessed the aftermath of the storm. Leaves littered the huge sidewalks and the sides of the streets were flooded. Luckily, it just blew in and blew out like the night before. We ate dinner at Graffiti, well we kind of ate dinner. We just ordered 1 pizza between the three of us and Jutta ordered a Pina Colada while I got a Acabullco which was a damn good vodka and redbull drink. I left the two there to pay and I headed to a nearby Internet Café to catch up on some e-mail and to get in touch with someone from Frankfurt. After that, I headed to the apartment where we watch the Pokal match between Nürenberg and Stuttgart and it was extremely exciting. Made me miss soccer a lot. Nürenberg won the match in the second extra minutes with a goal at the 118th minute. Poor Stuttgart, I was rooting for them. I called it a night and tomorrow is a holiday and everything will be closed, bummer. But then again, everything in Gemany besides restaurants and museums are closed anyways on Sunday.
photo by: CFD