Overlanding: What it's like

Johannesburg Travel Blog

I did my overland tour with about 15 people.  Along the way some people would leave and others would join but most of them remained.  There were about three couples on the truck and the rest of us were travelling independently.  My advice to anyone travelling as a couple is to make sure you spend time apart, otherwise you end up being alienated from the rest of the group a bit - it's much easier to approach one person than it is to approach two.

Obviously a huge number of miles have to be covered so there are some long days on the road, as much as 12 hours sometimes.  These aren't as bad as they may sound though as there is always something to look at and with 15 people on the truck there is always someone to talk to.  Our truck was capable of seating about 24 people so there was plenty of space to spread out with just 15 of us, a nice group size I think.  Other days are spent at a campsite where there are things to do or see, so on these days there is no driving.

For us, being a budget tour, every night was in a tent (except for when we were on Zanzibar) and we had to cook our own food, which meant splitting into cook teams.  Some days there are no showers or electricity and people soon learnt that it doesn't matter if you are a bit dirty and smelly.  A t-shirt is good for three days minimum!

This was my first overland tour and I loved it.  The people were amazing and the things we did were equally good.  Most of the days have flown by and the five weeks went so quickly.  I'll definitly be doing another overland tour at some point in the future.

I went with African Trails on their five week Nairobi to Johannesburg tour and would highly recommend them.