Microlighting Over The Falls

Victoria Falls Travel Blog

Getting strapped in

It took some convincing to sign up to take a microlight flight over Victoria Falls, not because I was overly scared but because it cost $120 for just 15 minutes.  In the end I checked the box and handed over my money, a decision I would not live to regret.

I have never seen a microlight before and on arriving at the aerodrome we were greeted with the sight of a pair of wings strapped to a go-cart engine with a couple of wheels attached to the bottom...  I wasn't really nervous about strapping myself into this contraption, just a little apprehensive.  I was one of the last of our group to go and by the time it was my turn I couldn't wait as everyone else had come back (always a good sign) with such massive grins on their face.

Microlighting over Victoria Falls

I put on my helmet and strapped myself in as my pilot introduced himself and assured everything would be fine.  He fired up the engine, taxied out to the runway then with a few more revs of the engine we were lifting off the ground, ascending quickly yet smoothly.  Surprising smoothly.  In the air I could look down at the plains of the Zambezi with hippos wallowing in the water and small islands dotted across the terrain.  A short way in the distance I could see the white mist that is kicked up by Victoria Falls.  This was where we were heading.

As we flew closer to the Falls it was possible to see the large gorges that had been cut out by previous falls.  The force of the water flowing over the rock below radually cuts away at the rock below and eventually makes it's way all the way through.

Safely back on solid ground
 When this happens a new waterfall is created, meaning Victoria Falls gradually moves backwards, up the river, over time.  From the air it was possible to see Devil's Cataract, a gorge that is currently being formed.  I a couple of hundred thousand years this will join up with the main part of Victoria Falls.

The water level iof the Zambezi is very low at the moment and there is almost no water flowing over on the Zambian side of the Falls.  As the rain comes many of the islands that I could see below would become covered and the volume of water that gushes over the edge of the cliff will become so large that the spray created will rise up to 2000ft into the air.  Whilst this may seem very dramatic, which I am sure it would be, it would also obscure any view of the Falls from both the air and the ground so I was glad that we had come at this time of year.

We made two passes of the Falls in the microlight and all the time my pilot was taking pictures with a camera mounted on the left wing of the craft.  All too soon it was time to land, which was just as smooth as the take off.  I jumped back onto solid ground absolutely ecstatic.  Although the flight was only 15 minutes long I was not left with a sensation of it being too short.  Obviously one could spend hours up there admiring the view but 15 minutes was plenty of time to get a good look at such an incredible force of nature.

TravellinChic says:
Wow! Awesome experience! :)
Posted on: May 27, 2011
SheLuvz2Fly says:
Ohhhhh WOW!!!!!!!! Thank you SO much for posting this blog! How AWESOME!!
Posted on: Oct 01, 2010
ejames01 says:
Dude, what a great adventure!! Do you know how lucky you are to see this...damn I wish I was there.
Posted on: Dec 06, 2009
Safely back on solid ground
A microlight flight over Victoria…
Victoria Falls