Livingstone, The Gateway to Victoria Falls

Livingstone Travel Blog

Sunset over Victoria Falls
We had three days of driving to get to Livingstone, which is the town closest to Victoria Falls on the Zambian side.  I was really looking forward to getting there and seeing Victoria Falls, which as one of the seven natural wonders of the world promised to be amazing.  I was not to be disappointed.  The driving days passed without any incidences and we even stopped at a big, modern shopping complex just outside Lusaka, the capitol of Zambia.  It was like taking a step out of the third world we had all gotten so used to over he past few weeks and was a welcome break.

In Livingstone there were so many activities to do and I would have loved to do them all but my finances were the limiting factor.  I decided to do a microlight flight over the Falls, white water rafting, a booze cruise and a walk along the edge of Victoria Falls to Devils Pool.

Between these activities I had a look around the town, which was perhaps now what you would expect for such a popular tourist destination.  Many of the building looked run down and the road was in poor condition, with potholes so deep that you could stand in some of them and the road would be half way up your shin.  There were some very nice hotels though and on our last night we went to the Royal Livingstone Hotel, which was very posh.  I enjoyed the meal although it is not really my kind of setting as I do not really care for the pretentiousness of such places.

tridantri says:
Yes, the first white person to go there.
Posted on: Dec 07, 2009