First Day on the Road

Arusha Travel Blog

The truck that we would be using was operated by the budget company African Trails.  It had inward facing seats and it was possible to roll up the sides to prevent us from getting too hot.  We set off later than planned as there was a problem with a valve on one of the tires leaking but got going eventually.

The road to the Tanzanian border was very rough as it had been dug up but not resurfaced.  We were thrown off our seats on numerous occasions and it made for some bone shattering driving.  Thankfully this would be the worst road of the trip.  The border crossing was easy enough although it poured down with rain, turning the ground into a mud bath.  On the plus side the rain made the road a little easier than it could have been and we arrived at the Snake Park campsite after seven and a half hours driving.  As the name of the campsite suggests there is a snake park on site which houses some of the deadliest snakes in Africa.  I had a quick look around before dinner, which was amazing and had been cooked for us.  After that I went to spend the first of many nights in a tent.

The tents supplied by African Trails were really good.  The inner was just one big mosquito net which meant that the fly sheet could be left off on hot (and dry) nights.  They also provided really comfortable mats which are infinitely more comfortable than those cheap foam roll mats that I have used before.
tridantri says:
Between about 18 and 25 I think. Althouth there was one couple that was a little older.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2013
skippyed says:
What was the average age of your group?
Posted on: Feb 05, 2013
tridantri says:
African Trails do not run the safaris themselves and the prices are extra to what you pay African Trails for the tour but all the prices are listed on their website so if you want more info I'd have a look there.
Posted on: Oct 10, 2010