Crossing into Zambia

Luangwa Travel Blog

The Zambian border
From Kande Beach we had two days of driving to cross into Zambia where we stayed at Mafuwe campsite in South Luangwa national park.  During our last day in Malawi the gear box broke a further two more times and at one police checkpoint the officer came onto the truck.  I was a bit worried that he would invent a reason to confiscate something but he let us on our way without any fuss.

At the Zambian border the following day we got stuck for well over an hour.  As well as all the usual form filling in and the one and only guy at the desk stamping all of our passports we had to wait for ages because the official that had to register our vehicle had gone into town.  Customer service has not really been a priority at most of the places we have visited but this was ridiculous.
Playing football with some locals
  T.I.A! This is Africa, a saying that would be applied to many a situation before the trip was over.

Once across the Zambian border we had a 120km drive on a very rough road but after only 30 minutes of driving we had to pull over because the truck was making a strange noise.  It turned out that most of the bolts holding the chassis to the suspension had come off and had we continued driving the truck would most likely have rolled over.  In the end Tim had to get a lift back into town to get new parts and then come back and fix the truck.  After three hours we were finally back on the road.

As I was going to bed that night I saw a hippo about 20m from my tent, which was a cool experience.
Vikram says:
Zambia is my home, s oglad you liked it!
Posted on: Jul 11, 2011
jlchatham says:
Wow. Haha, TIA indeed.
Posted on: Feb 14, 2010
Playing football with some locals
Leaving food unattended is an invi…
Leaving food unattended is an inv…
photo by: pearcetoyou