Arriving in Nairobi

Nairobi Travel Blog

Karan market
My flight from London Heathrow arrived on time and was hassle free.  The only downside was that the films were on a loop so I could not choose the one I wanted to watch.  At the airport someone lead me to where I had to fill in a visa application form and pay the $25 fee.  I somehow managed to avoid the queues and retrieved my bags in to time at all.  The man who helped me wanted a tip which I could not give him as I only had large notes.  He told me I could change money at the bureau but I was not going to do this as I would get a poor rate and have to pay commission.  Also, I did not ask for any help and told him I was fine on my own but he still continued to lead me to the right queue and jumped in front of me to get my bags of the carousel.  I guess this is something I will have to be aware of during my time in Africa.

I had pre arranged a taxi to take me to the youth hostel, Karan Kamp, which was about a 40 minute drive.  I got my first taste of African wildlife when I saw a couple of Zebra walking by the side of the road.  I did not arrive at the camp till fairly late so I had a couple of chicken pies then went to bed.

The next day I went for a walk to the shops in Karan but they were further than I thought so I ended up turning back.  Being Sunday they would have been closed anyway.  I ended up taking a taxi to a market with three Spanish people and we spent most of the afternoon there.  We were of course constantly hassled to buy things and this got annoying very quickly.  I would soon learn that it is best to just keep smiling and not let it get to you.

Back at the hostel that night I met our driver, Tim.
Vikram says:
It's a lot like that in India as well.... they "offer" you help without asking for it, and claim that you availed their services and ask for a tip.
Posted on: Jul 11, 2011
msafiri254 says:
Well done on the blog. Well done for not giving the guy at the airport a tip, he is already being paid as part of job....
Posted on: Feb 06, 2011
Africancrab says:
Congratulations on the feature, well done.
Posted on: Oct 02, 2010