Last Day in Hawaii

Oahu Travel Blog

Our lasat day in Hawaii.  Up until this point, I hadn't snorkeled or had any beach time, and I was bound and determined to do so today.  Luckily, TJ wanted to appease me, so we started the day at Hanauma Bay.  Again, we watched the required nature preserve video, and TJ and I rented snorkel equipment.  Judy, much to her dismay, sat on the beach.

TJ explained to me how to snorkel, and once I got the hang of it (it takes some coordination), I snorkeled for the better part of an hour.  The fish were gorgeous, and I even saw an eel!  I was told that was like a one-in-a-millions chance.  I was shocked to see this long black creature swim past me.

Judy didn't give me a chance to relax on the beach.  As soon as we came out of the water, she was up, ready to leave.  Ticked me off a little bit, actually.  I barely had a chance to dry off.

My next request was to go to the Honolulu Hard Rock Cafe; TJ knew where it was.  I was literally given just enough time to go in, buy a pin, and come out.  Judy stayed in the car, and TJ stayed with her.

Next on the agenda was Waikiki.  Since Mom and Dad had been here the spring of 1982, I really wanted to at least set foot on Waikiki Beach.  And, that's practically all I got to do.  Judy refused to go, so she  shopped while TJ accompanied me for about a 50 walk on the beach.  We snapped a few pictures, and then we were off.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping in some mall, just exactly what I wanted to do.  I missed going to Diamond Head, and I didn't get one last shave ice like I wanted.  This evening, we packed for our night flight from Honolulu.  It was just a short flight, and then we had a couple hours to kill in Maui before our midnight departure for Phoenix.  I was glad my coconut that I had taken from the beach made it through the security checkpoints.  In Maui, I couldn't help it, I dozed off in the waiting area.  Even though these were my last moments in Hawaii, I couldn't stay awake.

Waikiki Beach