Absolutely No Plans

Kauai Travel Blog

Early flight this morning to Kauai.  We had absolutely no plans for this island, and didn't really know what to do, so upon leaving the airport, we picked up pamphlets for some suggestions.  In the parking lot, we were greeted by chickens roaming around.  Turns out there are more chickens on Kauai than people (that tidbit learned from the pamphlet).  For fowl, they are pretty, not the chickens I'm used to.

We ate breakfast at a hole-in-the-wall to take time to read the guide and decide what to do.  Waimea Canyon caught our eye.  It is the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.  TJ seemed to know the way, so we went there.  It was a nauseating ride, through mountains and narrow roads.

I actually wished we had a convertible this time, but in a small offort to save money, we had gotten a sedan -- a nice orange Dodge Charger.

To be quite honest, I wasn't that impressed with Waimea Canyon.  In fact, I kind of decided that I don't need to go to the Grand Canyon.  It was pretty much just a hole in the ground.  We drove around there for a couple hours, stopping at more scenic points.

I was pretty well done with it well before we left.  Again, we didn't really know where we were going, but as we were driving down the highway, I saw a roadside cafe that advertised shave ice and I asked to stop.  I have become addicted to this stuff.  And, this was my favorite; the shave ice was nice and fluffy.  We continued on our way, driving somewhat aimlessly around the island.  We stopped for lunch at a random Mexican restaurant in a mini-mall, and went to a couple waterfalls.

The first waterfall was gorgeous, and it's been featured in several movies, supposedly Jurassic Park is one of them.  The second waterfall was pretty, too, but we were there amongst two busses of Japanese tourists, so we really couldn't enjoy it much.

I wasn't able to go to the beach on Kauai, which I want to, but again, since Judy isn't a beach person...  I really wish we had been a little more prepared because I feel like I totally missed out on the true beauty of Kauai and what all the island has to offer.

Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of…
Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon o…
photo by: hauteboy